"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A walk in the park...

(originally posted in 2008, the sentiment remains)

blogger is not allowing a pics to load...sorry.


Thirty-seven years ago today I stood in the doorway, at my father's arm, of St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church. Ahead of me, down the aisle, was you...the one. After meeting in college and what seemed like a long engagement we were here, on a chilly November evening, in a church lit only by candlelight, to wed.

When I walked back down that aisle, at the arm of my husband, ahead of me was our future. Our care-free childhood, teenage years behind us as we ran through the rain to our car sloshing through puddles laced with shaving cream. Our future...

Maybe it was the rain, or the fact that we just missed being in a serious car accident, or that our keys were lost and we couldn't get into our apartment, that was a sign that ours would be a difficult journey. (Our paths to this point having been laced with many challenges.) We have been to the depths of pure hell...a place no parent should ever have to visit. And we have found, even to this day, that none of the everyday mishaps of life matter at all after you've lost so much.


We have reached the sky and have known the incredible blessing that our amazing children bring to us. They have been a gift beyond measure and I am so glad that you and I have shared such joy together.


We took a vow that day, before God and our families and friends, to always turn towards each other whether it be in joy or sadness. Turn towards each other always so that we will never have to be alone. Everyday you remind me of what that vow really means. Through sickness and health. Through good times and bad. For better or worse...we turn towards each other. We are strong and resilient, we are best friends and lovers (don't tell my mom!) and I would not change you and me for the world.


Happy Anniversary Baby...

11 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary Jojo and hubby. Hope it was fun and happy!! ILY!

    God Bless~
    Debbie Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, sweet, sweet (wipes a tear away). Sounds just like me and my forever-love. Happy anniversary sweet Jojo. XO ~~ Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! This is beautiful Jojo, and yes you are so very blessed! Enjoy your day with hubby and family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
    what a lovely post and so well put :) i promise i wont tell your mom Giggles...
    but kids are fair game as they need to know that ... LOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! And many more! I loved your post! Also, Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jojo, This is an absolutely WONDERFUL testimony to your love. Happy Anniversary, my friend.

    Blessings, Mary

    PS. Thank you for signing up for my Christmas bookswap. Your name is on my list. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jojo,
    A lovely tribute to a great couple who have 'stayed the course'. That's the key isn't it.....through sickness and in health, good and not so good times. Hope you and yours are enjoying this moment on this special day.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jojo, First I want to say Happy Aniversary! You almost made me cry, your post is beautiful! (Except knowing you've experienced great pain along the way), I'm so glad that you've had a wonderful partner to share your good (and bad), times with...and together you've made a wonderful life! Not everyone can say that my friend. You are indeed blessed! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and keep warm! xoxox Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very, very sweet! Happy Anniversary...and many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet tribute to a good marriage.
    Happy Anniversary to you both. You deserve it because it's takes a lot of effort to make a good marriage. Both of you should be proud of what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary!

    Beautiful post- you are very lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...