"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, May 8, 2014

finally...dining in the dining room...

...back in the dark ages before blogging I would get all my decorating ideas by either looking through magazines, looking through model homes, driving through the neighborhood and peeping into other houses or visiting the library.     There were very few decorating shows on the tele and very limited funds.  Thrift stores were atrocious and hand-me-downs hard to come by.  When we wanted a new look we would move the furniture around, change up the pillows and maybe re-arrange the pictures on the wall.  Now days that is called "shopping the house," and it's a great way to make a big/small change and keep the change in your pocket.

My dining room re-do has been a very long drawn out project but has finally come together in a manageable way.  It's a very small room, just enough space for four to dine in a comfortable setting.  My dream would be to turn this room into a library with a couple of cushy chairs and all our books but it is our only eating space in this house so we will make this work.  At last the dining room Du jour;
















this was a $0 update,  the panels were new but were never used (which I now see that I didn't take a photo of) the paint was left over from a hallway redo and all the accessories were around the house.   I'm pretty happy with it but I'm also concerned that it is too much.  What do you think?  Several family members, when asked their opinion, stated that it looks like we live in a flea market.   yeah.

thanks for stopping by, be well, take courage dear hearts.

11 comments:

  1. I thoroughly love it! I wish mine was as unique and expressive and welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dining room re-do . The price can't be beat but the creativity and love put into it are priceless ! ( couldn't resist that line ) It looks like a very cozy place to share a meal and read a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you notice the wee sheep you gifted me on the shelf?

      Delete
  3. Joanne, Your dining room must be as small as mine. I have a round table so I can seat more .. I like your vignettes. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne. I like what you did here. And because it is your dining room in your house I believe you are entitled to decorate it in your style with your things. Each of the things I am sure has a story and memory attached, I really like it. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd much rather live in a flea market than a big-chain furniture store- a look so many people (amazingly) aspire to. Your house is filled with character and love, those others look like they ripped off the Holiday Inn for their accessories. Rock on, Sisterchick :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your dining room, Joanne---it's just what I love. A mixture of what makes one happy---not a "set" that one has bought at a store with all the "stuff" thrown in. It's pretty and I do not know how you do all you do, sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing wrong with flea markets. I wish I could put things together like that.
    You did a great job, Joanne. Have a blessed weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks great! I never ask anyone's opinion about a room...if I like it, that's all that matters! Enjoy your "new" space and have a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. t is beautiful so elegant! Enjoy until the day it becomes your library!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...