"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, May 11, 2014

the bittersweet symphony of life

do you remember the day Scott and I were driving around and came upon a bulb farm.  It was in full bloom and I was so excited to share it with you that we bought a full case of daffodils and drove straight to your house to surprise you.  Hundreds of daffodils in vases all over the house, it was so beautiful and you were so happy.  
you don't know but I live across from that very same bulb farm now.

now you rest in a beautiful spot with a glorious angel nearby to watch over you.


we had such hard times you and I.   From the typical teenage angst to secrets that should have been kept they were so unbelievably painful.Being the oldest girl coming up in the '60's could not have been an easy task, the letting go was difficult for both of us.  I don't think I ever really did.  I never wanted to be  very far from you and when we bought our first house it was with you in mind.  In fact every decision that I have ever made has been with you in mind.  I built my whole world around you...and pooof you were gone and I was left with a sorrow that I have never been able to fill. (and believe me I've tried everything)  So many things left unsaid, like I love you, but I guess it doesn't matter now.                             

you used to grow these in the backyard and I always thought they were elegant when I was a child.  Poppies and snapdragons too,  they were so pretty.  Do you remember the fun we had with the snapdragons.

the last time we talked I had just bought these daises for your patio, to surprise you when you came home...but you didn't, and I'm still very angry about that.

You were such a beautiful woman, tall and slender with that long wavy red head, you could have easily been a model but you were shy.  You were by far the strongest, most stubborn,bull-headed, always right  never wrong, apologize for nothing, hold tight to your faith, stand strong for what you believe, private, soft-hearted, gentle, slightly bi-polar, complicated, funny, and bossy woman ever to grace this earth and I am so proud to be your daughter.  Everything about me good or bad is because of you mom.  And that's just fine with me.

Thinking of you in my own special and unique way today with love.  Love, love, love.

5 comments:

  1. *hugs* God bless and comfort you, Joanne. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne, this tribute to your mother is so heartfelt and sincere. I can feel the love you had for her. You are fortunate to have shared such a powerful relationship with her.....all the 'good' and the 'bad'. thanks so much for sharing this here. I had a slightly similar relationship with my mother....very difficult at times and then very close too.
    Happy Mother's Day to you, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to your Mom. You were blessed to have such a close relationship with her. She sounds like someone I know about.
    Methinks the apple has fallen very close to the tree...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this sweetheart! I think that's why I love this day so much...to remember how lucky I am to have a mom and all the ups and downs that come with her :)
    much love to you my dear!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely tribute and memories of your mom!!!!! This post is simply so beautiful! So beautiful!!!!! I am so glad you have good memories of the both of you together! I know how much you miss her. Someday, all of us will be together! Love you!!!!


    Heather

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...