"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It's a knockout...




...this last fall, winter, spring has been so much rainier than years past, even for us.  We unfortunately have lost a lot of our garden plants.  Most of my bulbs are gone, I think they just may have become water-logged, our Rhododendrons look pitiful and only one of our many rose bushes survived.


We had a small garden of roses along the back of the house, all but one being planted in honor of or in memory of a special person or horrific event.  None of them made it through to bloom so we, meaning the hubs, dug them all out and this became my cutting garden, which remains a work in progress. 



I was a little saddened that so many roses were lost especially since they held a special place in my heart.  So recently, while perusing blogs, I came across several people who were crazy over the Knockout Roses.  I did a little research on them and found that they are a hardy shrub rose that can be grown in a pot.  I mentioned that we should keep an eye out for them next time we were in the store and lo and behold we came across two last week.  One of them jumped right into my cart~~right there on top of all my groceries and such.  I couldn't get it back out as it insisted on coming to live with us...


As directed I planted the little bugger sweetheart in a pot and it's on the patio where I can easily see it.  It is gorgeous!  Scarlett colored blooms, tons of them, and the plant is a nice compact shape.  I can't wait to see it bloom all Spring and Summer and I love the fact that they don't need to be pruned or deadheaded.  I need all my plants to be self sufficient!   Do you own a Knockout?








from the tag:
The Knock Out® Family of Roses are easy to grow and do not require special care. They are the most disease resistant rose on the market. They have stunning flower power with a generous bloom cycle (about every 5-6 weeks) that will continue until the first hard frost. All of the Knock Out® Roses are self-cleaning so there is no need to deadhead

15 comments:

  1. Self-cleaning? Wow. I wish they made everything like the Knockout! Beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and since mine also need to be self-sufficient, I need to go get one today. Not tomorrow. Today.

    ((Hugs))and hang in there my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's the rose for me - I'll have to watch for one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knockouts are the best! We have several and they've gone through too-little rain, too-much rain, been put in full sun and full shade...they will NOT fail.

    I won't plant any other roses now...I know you'll love them, jojo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After killing everything in our garden, I decided to try a Knockout. Then I tried a half dozen more. They're all still alive and healthy!! I think it's a miracle plant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Your writing has helped me,,
    i like this blog,,
    By Diet Solution Program

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Your writing has helped me,,
    i like this blog,,
    By Diet Solution Program

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jojo, this is one beautiful rose!! I have given up on the 'fancy' roses. Used to have a number of 'David Austin' roses and they may have lasted for three years ....then all died. Too much care was needed and I'm not one to 'over- coddle' any plant after a couple of years.....survival of the fittest in our garden!!!
    Anyway, we discovered the hardiness of the Rugosa Rose family. They survive our Canadian winters and have the a great scent too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jojo, this is one beautiful rose!! I have given up on the 'fancy' roses. Used to have a number of 'David Austin' roses and they may have lasted for three years ....then all died. Too much care was needed and I'm not one to 'over- coddle' any plant after a couple of years.....survival of the fittest in our garden!!!
    Anyway, we discovered the hardiness of the Rugosa Rose family. They survive our Canadian winters and have the a great scent too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may try those! Thanks for the info. Everything in my garden needs to be self sufficent as I have a black thumb, not a green one. I did NOT inherit my mother's green thumb. She could (and did) grow anything and everything. I just manage to kill it all. Beautiful flower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That little Knockout is a pretty little thing Jojo. I love the color!!! Funny how things just find their way into our carts isn't it. lol! It happens to me every time I go to town.
    sending hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I'm not a yard girl, so I'm unfamiliar with some of your wording. That being said, I do love a hearty plant that will survive, despite my lack of skill. This may be just the thing... I'll be looking for one during my next trip to the store!

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  13. very pretty- and I'm not a rose fan. I do want to find an old fashioned climber- I remember them as being pretty idiot proof...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of Knockout Roses. I have many roses but none that don't need pruning, fertilizing, deadheading and lots of water. I will look for these "knockouts". Will it just jump into my cart as I walk by? Amazing....

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...