"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Songs in Ordinary Time...


...those of you who are former Catholic school girls will remember that "Ordinary Time" is time of year following Epiphany and Pentecost.  Rather than meaning common or mundane the term comes from the word "ordinal" which simply means counted time.


The rest of us probably remember it as an Oprah book club choice back in the late '90's and a LMN movie thereafter.  It was an enjoyable book but for me the movie did not live up to it's full potential.  Such as it is with books and movies for me.  


Ordinary time for me is just that...ordinary.  And although it does not celebrate a certain ''feast' or 'event' it is a day to cherish and rejoice.  Today I sang a song of ordinary time.


With no constraints against me for my time or energy I awoke to a beautiful sunny day.  After a great nights rest and no alarm clock grouchily waking me up, I savoured my cup off coffee.  With no where to go, nothing to do I simply went about my day.  Dishes, laundry, making the bed...none of these things feeling like chores today.  Nothing pulling at me to be done or finished I made my way outside and took a little nap in the sunshine.


I pulled some weeds, finished planting my seeds, transplanted a few things that needed bigger pots, re-arranged the old pots to see what or if I needed to replace.  I spray painted some odds and ends, for a later post.  I thought about sweeping the porch, but didn't.  I thought about raking the dying moss in the yard, but didn't.  I thought about walking the dog, but couldn't  didn't.  In every way it was just an ordinary day.


No dinner plans except to throw a few things together as hubby put some Halibut on the grill. 



No misery, no mayhem, no complications.  An ordinary day that would pass others by without an second glance, or be put down as 'boring.'  Not to me...I rejoice in the ordinary days.  They are a rare gift in my life and I love when they come around...my heart sings a song of ordinary days.

Is your heart singing today?

google images

18 comments:

  1. i swear i was not aware there is such a thing....can i have 1 or 10 please ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, my sweet friend, deserve may ordinary days. Hope another one comes to visit very, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a fully beautiful day, jojo.

    I, too, cherish the ordinary ones. They are made that much sweeter by understanding just how "extra"ordinary they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An awesome post with wonderful photos!
    Absolutely fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely post, Jojo. Thank you for it.
    We forget the success can be found in "ordinary time" and that life doesn't have to always be about plans and accomplishment.
    You have reminded me that life is made up of wonderful moments of existence that only need to be acknowledged in my heart. I will sing a song, in ordinary time today because of you....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds perfectly ordinary to me Jojo. A truly perfect day for sure!!!
    I love how you look at life my friend!
    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel so enriched by your post! I've never heard of 'songs in ordinary time before, but I love the concept. I'm so glad you had a wonderfully ordinary day. Glad to hear that there are others who relish just puttering around. Thanks for your beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My last read of the day, it feels like I have been lulled to sleep :D
    xx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are my absolutely most favorite days...puttering around the house doing the normal routines of housework. Sounds funny, but it's relaxing and rewarding if you aren't rushed or stressed. There really is beauty in the ordinary things of life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes it is Jojo! It is singing for an ordinary day! I know precisely of which you are speaking.
    Those photos are great by the way! I am partial to Poppies and that one is beyond nice. Good work and I hope another of 'those days' comes around when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds perfect. I love Ordinary Time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too love the specialness of ordinary days. Glad you got one :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully written account of an ordinary day. Have a great week! La

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jojo, it sounds like your ordinary day was extraordinary! And so are all of your images. So beautiful! Puttering is my favorite thing to do, and is right up there with getting a good night's sleep too! So glad you savored your ordinary day, it sounds perfect! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful day Jojo! And you always have the prettiest headers!
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ordinary is good. We need to enjoy it! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful UN-ordinary post, dear jojo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This touched my heart, dear one. I wish for you many, many ordinary days for they are the ones in which our spirits can just be...

    Beautiful post.

    Love you, dear heart.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...