"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, April 4, 2011

Dining in the dining room...

This is a repost from last week...
 ***edited to add***  I am joining Melissa at The Inspired Room gallery wall linky party.  Be sure and check out all the other fabulousness.  Also, forgive me, I don't know how to add her cute little blog button to my post page...hey I'm new..it's a process people!  Also, also, this is my very FIRST home decorating project so please be kind!  Thank you all for visiting.




...picture it...small town-medium sized state...circa 1998, we have just moved into this house after downsizing from our 'family' home.  Our children having had the audacity to grow up, leave home and have lives of their own. 

Our dining room is small, very small.  My mothers' china cabinet and our little round table with four chairs is all that can fit in there.  Although the room is open to the living room and has a large window it is still very dark.  Trying to have a holiday dinner in there is difficult as I can't use the table extension and there is not enough area to move around in.  It's o.k. though as it is more of a place for stuff than a real dining room.  Until now...


 (note to self, make sure all the crap is off the dining room table before you take a picture of the mirrors.)




Recently I have had the urge to make some changes around here and I decided to do over, make over, the dining room.  It didn't need painting as it was done a few years ago and still looks good despite the myriad of tiny nail holes. Formerly this wall had a small plate rack with three plates in it which I have changed out to include the mirrors, a small collection that my daughter left behind, and the frames which are thrift store finds painted white and distressed.  The only cost was the large mirror which was intended for a different room and was $20.  The mercury glass was a gift at Christmas as was the little birdie mirror.  The only thing that doesn't feel right is that little birdie mirror but I will keep it up for awhile and see. 

Yesterday I painted an old shutter  French Blue and after it is distressed I will show you what I have planned for it in here too.  So what do you think?  Too much?  Too busy??  be kind!

20 comments:

  1. I love it, Jojo!!! It's so elegant!!! Now can you come and decorate my house??
    ILY

    God Bless~
    Debbie Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great knack for combining things and getting a unique and wonderful look! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wall, but I REALLY love the tiny comment about clearing the dining table before photographing mirrors LOL That was my belly laugh of the day, dear (((((JOJO)))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment you left when you visited my blog Jojo. I live on Vancouver Island just outside of Victoria. I have been to Salt Spring Island , I try to get over there in the summer for the Saturday markets they have there.
    I can't wait to see what your plans are for the shutter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wish i could get you here to decorate for me it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Know JoJo I like it very much. When you change something it always takes time to adjust but I think it is very pretty.
    Enjoy
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very pretty. I hope you keep the little birdie mirror out where people can see it-even if you move it...it's adorable. On one of your photos I could see the reflection of the room in the big mirror and get an idea of what the whole room looks like. I think your grouping fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jojo, I Looove it! In fact, if it were me, I'd paint the birdie mirror white too, but that's where my heads at these days! Your dining room is gorgeous and believe me, I know about small dining rooms too! Your mirrors give it a lot of depth! Good job! And I didn't peek through your looking glass!

    Honestly, when I'm working on a crafty project, my house is well, discustingly far from tidy! I'm working on small baskets right now, AND a couple of pennant banners, so between paper, chicks, bunnies and the assorted vintage odds & ends...there's only room for a teeny bowl of oatmeal in the morning at the table, forget about the dinner meal(that's sadly in front of the tv)! Anyhoo, Love it my Washitonian friend! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jojo the wall looks wonderful with all the pretties. I do love that mirror with the bird perched atop! Is that an old piece?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your wall!!! But now I've got to go home and completely re-do mine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love it. The distressed frames are a wonderful idea!

    You may have motivated me to do something! That's hard to do LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jojo, thank you for stopping by my blog. I appreciate it very much.
    Love all the mirrors on the wall. They make any room look bigger, even the smallest one.
    I think I would like to see the precious birdie mirror on it's own.
    It is such a statement piece!
    Hugs, Evi

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is really hard to line up a group like that and you did it perfectly. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HA! Completely get the remark about unable to figure the link button! I too am new to all of this fun! This is only my 2nd attempt at a link party! Not so sure the 1st was done appropriately. Think I got a disapproving remark.... ah well.. gotta learn somehow! So welcome to you. Great job! Love the plate with frame around it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi JoJo,
    Just popping over from The Inspired Room. It is great to see your gallery wall. Mine is #10.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    Gg - Notes on the Journey

    ps. Your wall is so charming. (My best friend lives in Sumner.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a great job with this - incorporating more than just frames together. The end result is lovely! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of my favorites! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Popped in from the Inspired Room gallery party! My favorite is that framed platter! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...