"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

stealing memories...




...I was barely nine years old when we moved to Seattle.  It wasn't the first move for our family nor would it be the last but, something about this time felt different.  My dad had been transferred here for his job and had come a few weeks early to find a house and get things in order.  I remember him coming 'home' and all of us piling into the station wagon to make the trip...2500 miles.

It is at this point that I remember everything going forward in my life.  Before age eight most of the memories are scattered pictures in my mind with no real cohesiveness.  It's like a memory puzzle.

Last weekend we went to the big city to visit my son and see his new home.  It is an older home in a well established neighborhood, that has been recently renovated to reflect the current times.  Very nice, with some of the original features that makes it seem quaint. 

As we were leaving we drove in the opposite direction of the way we came.  We lazily drove up and down the streets in the area, looking at the older homes, the view of the water and mountains, the changing of the seasons and the smell of fireplaces being lit.  As we were watching the sun slowly setting for the day I began to have a feeling of contentment.  A familiar warmth, a hug of sorts, and I realized that I had been to this place before.  I recognized the streets, the hill that I used to ride my bike down (and walk my bike up), the school on the corner, the church down the street...I had stumbled upon my childhood home.  The place we lived when we first moved here.

We stopped and I took some pictures to share with my family, wondering if my brother remembered this place.  As I sat in the car I could see the home the way it was so many years ago.   My dad out working in the yard and my mother sitting on the stairs watching us play and heavy with child.  I see her there in her white sleeveless blouse and blue capri pants (she called them pedal-pushers)...I was mesmerised.

It was a feeling of coming full circle, something I can't describe very well or understand but it felt like a beginning and an end.  I haven't been able to get that picture out of my mind.  And I don't think I want to...

13 comments:

  1. Omigosh, that such a beautiful story. I love it...! That made my heart feel warm. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...this gave me goose bumps. A treasured moment Jojo. Wonderful.

    Made me feel warm too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful experience. A special memory that was made for you alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to your posts every day, and today is no different. You have such a way of writing that makes me feel like I have been with you in the actual post. I wish I had your gift to write so well! Thanks for sharing this memory with us. It made me think of my own childhood memories of when we first moved to Grand Island when I was in first grade. (Once when I returned to visit a friend there, we decided to knock on the doors of our "old houses" and they actually gave us tours of both homes.....it was such fun!!) Have a wonderful day!

    Did your brother remember the house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was lovely, Jojo. You took me right along with you on this 'magical memory tour' of your old neighbourhood. Thanks.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. That had to be an amazing experience and feelings for you. What a memory refreshing! Just wonderful. Thanks, for sharing this special time. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful story and what sweet memories!
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic. I'm glad for you. Quite interesting your son moved into that neighborhood, eh? Coincidence? Or not?
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw honey that is such a wonderful thing to have happened for you. I am so glad you experienced this.
    It is a very hard feeling to put on paper but you did it and loved the way you did.
    You have been on my mind constant for the last two days so I had to come by and check on you.
    Hope your doing okay and not experiencing to much difficulty .
    Got to get ready for my pool therapy..ugh...why I dread my time there I don't know...I guess just silly me
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Thank you for sharing your Memory Lane with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. G'eve sweet Jojo ~ What a precious moment ... your story is heart warming & so beautiful. Treasure this special memories.

    Have a great day ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...