"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Iris...


Since Iris is the Greek goddess for the Messenger of Love, her sacred
flower is considered the symbol of communication and messages.
Greek men would often plant an iris on the graves of their beloved
women as a tribute to the goddess Iris, whose duty it was to
take the souls of women to the Elysian fields.
- Hana No Monogatari: The Stories of Flowers

10 comments:

  1. no wonder i chose the iris quilt lol i love iris'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iris's fill my gardens with such a beautiful message in Spring. So now I know that they are just doing their job. : D (And they do it so well.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea what they meant, but I'm a huge fan. I have purple, yellow and two of the rare tan irises in my yard. Thanks for enlightening me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing says spring like "Iris"!
    Hoping all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irises are on my top ten "most favorite flowers" list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that mythology Joanne! Anything tragic and having to do with eternally smitten men romantically pining for their lovers...works for me.

    Thank-you for making a scarf! Can't wait to see the result.....

    love, kelee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this story and your photo is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feedsack FantasyJune 11, 2009 at 7:12 PM

    TY for popping over & joining along with me. We'll have a great time together ... TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...