"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

September morn...



1979 Neil Diamond
where was I in '79?

had a new baby and a two year old, was working part-time in a customer service center at the local mall (it was awful), we had just bought a new to us house and were happily making it our home, we had friends next door and family nearby and I remember looking out the bedroom window one snowy November as my hubby and son were building his first snowman and my baby girl was sleeping next to me and thought; life does not get any better than this.  And I was right.  Where were you?

The sun has arrived at the equator on it's journey south for the winter.  I find it a most happy time of year...like the changing of the guard.  And if it were up to me the New Year would start with Autumn.  The crisp-cool temperatures, the crisp-cool apples, sweet hot lattes and pumpkin pie, cinnamon sticks and vanilla sugar, falling leaves and vivid colours, football and the world series,  college dreams and long lost sweet-hearts, anticipation and celebration, little goblins, quilts, "Moondance," bleachers and stolen kisses, marching bands, mums and pumpkins, gourds, corn, spider webs (ack!), fire-pits, corn mazes, brilliant skies, darker nights, shorter days (ick!), summer memories and on and on...

September morn...sometimes it still can make me feel that way.

 


10 comments:

  1. 1979, we were living near Lake Tarawera, in the Rotorua thermal region.I worked in the pharmacy at Rotorua Public Hospital, our girls both went to schools in the city, and we lived so close to that wonderful trout fishing area. Hugh took friends and family out on the lake, and life was good. Hugs,Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. welcome to my blog list of members, lovely to meet you. Hugs,Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I believe we were in Alaska. I had just finished a remote tour at Clear Air Force Station and was joining him at Eielson Air Force Base. Also in Alaska.
    This time of year they are waiting for their first snow (always before Halloween); and waiting for the Nenana river to freeze. They count hours and minutes of daylight every day because you get so much in the summer and so little in the winter the nearer the Arctic Circle.

    Love your new header and your bible verse. :-) *hugs* ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you have presented autumn, Joanne. I have never thought of it in these terms as new beginnings.
    OK. 1979. I had just turned 30 and Ron and I were off to live in Vancouver, B.C. Bought a van and turned it into a camper of sorts and off we went. What an adventure it was......driving across Canada to Alberta and then ducking down through the western states and up the coast through your beautiful country, Joanne, an loving the North West ever since. Best move of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1979?...let's see...I was preggo the last half of the year because I had baby #3 in May of '80...we were living over my husband's Chiropractic practice office in a 2 bedroom apartment. I was working part-time at the hospital...very busy and very tired might be the case back then! You've described Fall to a T and I'm a little sad to see Summer over, but I do love this time of year. Halloween is always a fun time around here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In 1979 I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB. I was dating my soon to be hubby (ex-now) and dreading him being transferred to Iceland in October for a year. We made it through and married in February 1980. Lasted 20 years and we're friends now. Wow. Jog down memory lane :) It's getting cooler in NC and I also love this time of year. Just hoping Winter doesn't come soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was 11 years old and in 6th grade at Eppler Jr. high. I lived here, where I do now. Momma worked 3 jobs, her day job, the military (she was a major) and another parttime night one when she wasn't at the military. it was just her and us kids. Life was pretty crazy for her at that time raising us. I also remember on Sundays she and I would watch a musical on TV together. It was something she and I did together. We both loved musicals so much.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had 3 little ones , the youngest born in January of '79. I too thought this was the best of times. Although I miss the days when my children were young and all at home with me, I am thankful they grew up well and have children of their own, my grandchildren ! Yes, this is now the best of times. I agree with you, this time of the year has always seemed like a new beginning to me and I am loving the weather change. Autumn, my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a job and 4 daughters in high school....so that was really another job. It wasn't easy for me then ...but oh I would go back in heart beat to have my daughter home with me again...they are grown with their own families . I liked your memory. Blessings xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baby on my hip...diapers on the line...wood in the stove...J Vernon McGee on the radio...

    Lovely images of autumn you spun out and a sweet invitation to get your readers to call up a memory.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...