"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thrifty thrifting...

...I have a confession to make.  I have not been to the thrift/antique/vintage shoppes all summer.  I know, I know, but I just seemed to lose the thrill of the hunt.  I think it had to do with purging all the craptasticness out of the back room and office.  Now with that job complete I am once again on the hunt.  So a few days ago I stopped into my nearest GW only to find that they have redecorated too, and one of the latest sections that was added to the store is a vintage section.  Everything vintage, which seems an oxymoron in a thrift store but hey, they put all the really old, cool stuff in one area.  I made a beeline over there...and much to my surprise was this little shelf calling my name.   It's rather vintagey and has an upper and lower shelf with spindle type legs,  a cute little pull-out drawer with a vintage crystal knob on it.


I scooped the little dear up as quickly as I could and then tried to act all nonchalant about it so no one would notice my excitement.   It's hard to tell from the photo but it is in pretty good shape and really only needs to be painted, then plopped onto the wall in my new, recently updated bedroom.  I could picture it all in my little head....


I had recently purchased a small pot of ASCPaint and was anxious to give it a try after seeing all the great reviews in blogland.  This is supposed to be the perfect paint.  No need to prepare your piece, no sanding or priming, just wipe with a clean cloth and apply the paint.  One coat will do the trick then you can apply a finishing wax and distress to your hearts content, or not, whatever you choose.  I picked out the colour Versailles.  It's a little gray-green-yellow if you ask me but here's a sample so you can decide...


Ooopsie!  Yes I did.  Dropped it all over the kitchen floor cause isn't that where everyone does their craft projects, on the kitchen counter?  I quickly tried to scoop it back into the little pot but it was all over the cupboards and my shoes.  I'm pretty sure I may have scooped up a bit of dog hair too so the finished project just may have some added texture to it after all.   Big reveal soon...

13 comments:

  1. I passed by that very GW today and resisted stopping in because I too am reluctant to begin adding more stuff to the rooms I have de-cluttered.Good thing you DID stop in, what a find.

    I like the green, but maybe not on your floor and counter tops.I did not know about this amazing paint, so now I'll be looking for it and I have a lot of unfinished projects it will come in handy for.

    BTW, I will be at the Puyallup Fair the last 5 days of the fair. I would love to meet you if you can drop in at the Animals of the World Barn. I have the Jacob sheep there, usually directly across from the zebras & yaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new shelf and can't wait to see it painted...BUT...WHAT a mess! I have things like that happen, too! Did you discover some new words in your vocabulary?;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh No! Well, it does look like a great color. Love the style of the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your little shelf and that color will be nice. I hope you were able to clean up the mess pretty quickly. I can't wait to see the finished product!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Cannot wait to see it! Texture and all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too funny, Jojo. Yup! Have re-decorated the kitchen with many a re-do. Love the color.

    Have a great week.

    GIVEAWAY ends 9/9, don't miss this one!!

    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun projects! Atleast the paint came up off the floor. Last year we did our deck with "restore" paint for wood decks. Works great. Hubby let the cat in for the night forgetting she had just walked over the wet painted deck. I have white carpet in the livingroom where the sliding doors to the deck are...nuff said! Can't wait to see your finished project. I'm in the midst of cleaning out junk and have no desire to collect anything for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh Jojo, I LOVE chalk paint and I love GW so you're talking my language girl!! That's a cool concept for them to have a vintage section, but I secretly hope it doesn't happen here...don't want to highlight the hidden treasures too much in there! lol ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh oh!!! West coast 'Martha' is at it again!!! lol
    Can't wait to see this, Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've spent every night watching Youtube videos showing how EASY it is to repaint laminate kitchen cabinets. . . have you ever noticed how they SMILE through the entire job, yet never, ever, spill the paint, or have ANY mess visible??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the shelf, I'm anxious to see it's reveal!!!It feels so good to find something wonderful, and make it our own...Doesn't it?!!!

    Joanne do you do Pinterest? If so, let me know, and I'll follow you, I'm totally hooked...I know, I know, one more thing online...who knew!!! ...and btw, thanks again!!! Big hugs, Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs *from the other side of the big traffic*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about the spill, but can't wait to see the finished job!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...