"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The paper chronicles...



...so, I've been seeing a lot of fun paper crafts on the blogs lately and have tucked them away in my little head thinking "I can do that!"  Really, I didn't think I could.  Some of them appear to involve math skills and I am sorely lacking in those very types of things, so I did my usual.  I bought all the supplies I would need, set them on the craft table or somewhere thereabouts, and then promptly forgot about it. 

A few weeks ago I decided that this was becoming a foolish habit and something had to give.  So I chose to try making a wreath out of paper cones.  Sounds strange but it ended up being so easy that I'm embarrassed, well almost embarrassed, to admit it.  There are many tutorials out there on how to make these paper wreaths and I won't bore you with details. I'm pretty sure you know how to Google if you want details.

I found a book of sheet music a few months ago at the thrift and proceeded to tea stain them.  This was for another mislaid project but worked well here.  The pages were about 10 1/2 by 7 inches, so I cut several, many, 7" squares.  Then with the leftover piece I cut it in half which was 3 1/2 inches.  Basically you need a square sheet for this project and I don't think the actual size matters....as you will see!




Next I rolled the squares into cones and adhered them with clear tape, I think you could use tacky-glue but I didn't want to sit holding the edges together all night so I opted for tape.  You won't see it later.  In the above picture you can see I rolled all the papers but am only using the smaller 3 1/2 inch cones for this wreath.  After all the cone rolling, which is mindless fun, really, I cut out a piece of light weight cardboard.  I used a cereal box and cut a circle 5" in diameter.  I then found the 'middle' of the circle and marked it with a pencil.  This will be the center point in which all the cones come together.  Taking the small ends of the cones, one at a time, I glued the bottom half of the cone on the underside and attached it to the circular piece.  Around and around fanning the cones out until you have something like this.


When the cones were all attached and dried I then added a little Spanish moss to the middle to cover up the center spot.  I've seen other people use rosettes and other types of bling on theirs but I decided to go more natural.  Also, some of the examples had glittered edges, slightly torn edges, and/or curled edges to add to the aged look.  Then all you need to do is glue on some ribbon, string, or twine to the back and let it dry.  I also cut another sheet of music paper in a 5" round to cover the back side.



It isn't perfect but it was easy and fun and besides perfect is highly over-rated!  I have mine hanging in the kitchen and from a distance it reminds me of a giant Dahlia.  So what do you think?



17 comments:

  1. I think it's beautiful! I'm going to try one. What a lovely but simple decoration for the holidays.
    thank you...
    Love the Spanish moss. It's just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely looks like a flower. :)
    Congratulations! I always think 'I could do that'; and then usually can't! ;)

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love! These paper craft wreaths remind me so much of the keypunch card wreaths that were everywhere in my hometown when I grew up. The keypunch card wreaths always got spray painted though. Your wreath is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Thanks for the photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jojo! Great idea and result! Love the sheet music....it adds a festive feeling You are such a crafty gal! And I still love that window in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I think I may just try this as well. I have just started checking out paper craft on here and there are so many neat ideas being posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this wreath. I could kick myself for passing over old sheet music a couple of months ago at St. Vinneys. Great job and I love it that it's an easy project. I get frustrated when something has so many steps and I lose my focus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did I get confused, or is it tea stained? I love it..especially on the old door!

    Remember Reader's Digest Christmas trees? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fab idea!!! I actually have some old songbooks I could use in Kids Church to make some of these as a 'craft'! Thanks...

    God bless ya and have a great day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've been a busy girl! First the fabulous new wallpaper on your blog with that wonderful quote, and then a nifty wreath! It's all very pretty! Have a wonderful Christmas Season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How neat is this. I am so glad yours turned out so pretty. You say it was easy but you know me everything turns out to be a project and a half. lol
    I thought things were slowing down over here but Christi was laid off yesterday. I hate she has to go through more grief.
    But enough on me I wanted to come by say hello and to tell you I am finally having a long over due giveaway so be sure and enter
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What do I think???I think it's beautiful Jojo!!! Now you have me thinking I should use up the sheet music I've been saving for other projects!
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend and that you get some of your other projects done. You know what I did today? I bought more stuff to make another project I know I will never get to anytime soon :0
    sending big hugs your way...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that is so cute Jojo. I can't do projects anymore, as my hands will not let me. I dumped my old Rhematologist and went to a new one today. She is running more tests. Hopefully something good will come out of it. I sure wish I could do things like that. You are talented Jojo!! ILY!
    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job. I love the use of sheet music. It makes it very whimsical. :)

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...