"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, October 17, 2011

Heirlooms...


...last summer
(it seems so very long ago)
after a visit to his folks house,
my hubby brought home a shoe box.  It seems his mom was 'cleaning out' some
old family heirlooms and thought we might like to have them.
Like???  does she not know me
after all these years!

The best part,
besides her thinking of me,
was that she included a little note
on each item with regards to who it belonged to and where it came from.
Want to see?



this came from Goldie and Vincents home in Huntsville, Indiana
(not sure who they are exactly but this is from my Father-in-laws family) 



this came from my Mother-in-laws grandparents farm on her dad's side.
the note says...
"dad's mom used to set Jello in this bowl out by the big water tank in the pump shed."
Obviously it was well used
and has been repaired many, many times.


here is another piece from the Indiana folk
passed on from
my husbands grandmother's grandparents!


there are a few more pieces and when I figure out which goes with what little piece of paper I will share them with you.

I realize now
just how important it is
to cataloug those things that are
treasures.




14 comments:

  1. beautiful....and very lucky~

    bunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks for sharing them with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how lovely! They are lovely pieces with such wonderful family history.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fortunate are you?! These are treasures. Loved the glass pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that clear square-ish compote. It's so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is exactly what I am working on to send away! My brother is going to get a bunch of stuff with notes and he can keep stuff for awhile. I'm glad you love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore heirlooms. I find them soooo precious.
    I have in my china cabinet a plate collection
    one from my first marriage
    my mothers
    my grandmothers
    my great grandmothers
    and EVEN....a plate from my Great Great Grandmother. I love looking at them each day. Thinking/remembering the meals eaten on them.

    and...I will be glad to pass them all along to my daughter when the time is right

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is the simple things with story's that are really family treasures. I love how you got the notes to save with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How neat that she marked each piece like she did. I love that idea.
    Your pieces are lovely.
    Hope you are well and having a good week
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pieces and how cool to have the family history on them from mil. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment on my grey painted rattan and iron little tables. Hopefully we will have some sunshine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How precious JoJo and I particularly love that glass pedestal dish. How pretty to serve cranberries in at the holidays. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Treasures from the heart, the best kind. I don't think it matters if a piece has been broken and repaired over and over. It's well loved, wanted and a family piece.
    The stories of where they came from is icing on the cake, no matter if you know the members or not. What a lovely piece of family history to pass on for generations.
    You scored girl!!
    Thanks for your visit today, I appreciate it very much, Char

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful to have such heirlooms with the history right with them...awesome!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...