"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Day...

...despite it's history of unrest and upheaval I prefer to think of May Day as the official start of Spring.



Years ago, before we moved to this house, the neighborhood girls would make May Day baskets, by hand, and deliver them to our front door.   There would be a knock at the door and when answered you could see the smiling eyes and hear the muffled giggles as the little ones waited in a secret hiding place for you to find the basket.  They were always made of construction paper and filled with flowers from our yard...cherry blossoms, tulips, and an occasional dandelion.

I miss those sweet days of little girls with their sweet gifts of Spring.   (I do wonder, now that my daughter has her own yard, if she find dandelions so cute!)

Happy May Day y'all. 

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely memory. I have to admit, after a long winter, I am looking forward to the first dandelions this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy May Day to you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you...it's the start of spring! Remember May Poles? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you and Happy May Day to you! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear J, I got a little teary with your sweet post. I've had dandelion bouquets too, and they truly warmed my heart! I remember making cones and putting them on neighbors doors when I was young. I'm sure I did my fair share of picking their flowers to put in the baskets I was giving them...Oh the sweet innocence of it all! xo Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    Isn't it a glorious day?! I've been out working in my yard for a few hours...Ugh...as much as I looove our weather, I'm pooped and ready to come in for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved those little May Day baskets! We always took one to Grandma when I was a kid. I totally meant to take a basket to a neighbor today and completely forgot until I saw your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved making those construction paper cones and filling them with flowers, well, mostly dandelions. Sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the may poles. Wrapping the poles in ribbon. Oh the glorious days of youth!!

    I pray that you are doing well. ILY.

    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...