"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Time in a bottle...

..."there never seems to be enough time
to do the things we want to do
once we find them..."

how true, how true.   How is it that the time has passed so quickly that we are now coming into the last month of the year.  The last season of celebration before we start all over again.  I really don't see how that can be possible.  Where did the time go, and why oh why is it moving so very quickly?  Or is it me?  It seems the older I get the more I want time to slow down a little but somehow it got put on fast forward and the days are flying be.  This could turn into a melancholy post if I'm not careful so moving on...

Between my house and the river, about 1/2 mile, lies a working Christmas tree farm and although we have lived here for fifteen years we have never gone down there during the tree season.  The rest of the year the farm, which is quite large, is mostly a playground for the neighborhood kids and dogs as we hike the trails down to the river. 

That is, until today.

After our weekly coffee date we decided to drive home the long way (through the neighborhood) and followed the signs to the farm.  See?



In the most bizarre, not-so-well-thought-out, directions the road takes you to the end of the neighborhood and through the side yard and then the children's park, down a rocky hill, through an iron gate, and finally into the tree farm.

I had no idea it was this large or the amount of trees that are available for cutting.  It is solely a u-cut farm with the trees running around $60.  Is that a lot for a tree?

 They've got Nobles and Douglas Fir, big and small, and lots of tall dried out grass to stomp through.  It was quite the muddy mess but as I recall from our days of tree-cutting with the kids, this only makes it more fun.

The road winds around and around, past the saws and twine shack, to the loading zone and then the cashier after which it leads back towards the park and pops you out into the middle of the neighborhood only to shake your heads and wonder what were they thinking here?!  There surely had to be a better way to design this.

Not putting up my tree yet...how about you?

16 comments:

  1. Hi honey I am so glad you stopped by this evening. I have been so worried about you and wondering how you are doing.
    I can not imagine having a tree farm so close. Sounds neat for the neighbor kids to have such a place to play.
    No tree up yet for me and not sure what to do about that because my tree is so big and way too much trouble for one person. I am like you time is just going by toooooo fast for me. I can not believe this is December in a few days. Wow
    where did this year go
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just put ours up and wishing I mhad a real one after seeing those yummy freas ones. Maybe next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No tree yet. All of my kids have theirs up and I will follow their lead now that I am home. My own bed never looked so good!! Seeing how much my grandchildren have grown makes me want to slow everything down ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. No tree up for me either. All my neighbors seem to be in a rush to get started though. When I was growing up, the tree never went up until Dec 15th.

    $60 sounds about right. They can run even higher and they do down here.

    I'm glad you posted. You were on my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put mine up on Thanksgiving morning. It's an artificial tree, and weird feeling because it's the first time in decades we haven't had a real tree. I have to say I miss the aroma of the real, but love the ease of the artificial.

    I woke up this morning thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. Big hugs, Marla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tree up with lights on but no decorations.

    How are you feeling? I pray for you whenever you come to mind.

    (((Big Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tree farms can be absolutely gorgeous!!!

    Mine is sittin' in the big old plastic barrel on my carport just waitin' for me to get the let out and decorate it but gosh darn, after the big old Thanksgiving bash I'm still plumb tuckered out! heeehehe

    God bless ya and have a great week sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jojo, I so remember those days when we lived in WA ST, too. Fun memories ... glad you got out & enjoyed yourself, my friend.

    I remember Mother taking that saw & whacking away at the tree. Then I got violently sick from the tree because I am highly allergic to them. So much for the fun.

    How are you feeling now? Things settling down? Hope your Tsgiving was a beauty.

    Have a beautiful holiday week ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  9. My tree is a little 3ft artificial one, although I am not sure I am putting it up. Mom made so much of the holiday, that I am not sure I can do it this year without her.

    Time does go to fast now. I agree. It seems impossible that 7 weeks ago mom was fine and eating and drinking and now she is gone. 7 weeks ago she spoke to me and now she can't.

    I love the idea of a real tree in the future for me though. how cool to live so close to a tree farm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had such a great time. We don't get our tree until the middle of December, but usually cut our own. Last year we had an artificial tree from years ago that we put up because we were leaving for DC on Boxing Day. Seems like an eternity ago with all we've been through this year.

    Take care, my friend. Be sure to drop by the Nook again real soon.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. not putting up a tree yet either... and the local tree farm here is much more expensive... so ... i guess...60 is fair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jojo, really like the new header.
    Yes, good question, why does time 'seem' to go so quickly as we grow older? I feel the same. Maybe it is because we want to cram in more than we did when we were younger. Who knows! When you really think about it, time is a man-made invention. It really doesn't mean anything. Does it?!
    No tree here yet either. Take care.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our tree's always up- I just change out the decorations every month :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How are you doing, JoJo?

    In Canada, we usually don't put our Christmas tree up until about a week or two (at the very most) before Christmas. Our family puts it up the week before. That way we don't get bored with Christmas. We take the tree down on January 6th.

    In the U.S., your Christmas seems to start around Thanksgiving. That's a wee bit too early for us here in Canada. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I fool infer from a few of the articles on your website trendy, and I really like your tastefulness of blogging. I added it to my favorites trap page roster and disposition be checking promote soon. Cheer contain into public notice my position as ok and leave to me be acquainted with what you think. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi sweetie!

    First, thanks for joining me for our 12 Days of Christmas Give-a-ways at Yaya Chique!

    That is too funny about the tree farm, question though? after all of that did you buy one? LOL

    Yes, our tree is up (at least the lights are on it)...haven't gotten much further.

    xo...deb

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...