"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pitter-pat...

...I had an hour and a half between doctor appointments on Monday.  Not long enough to go home but just long enough to leave the building for awhile.  I decided to grab, literally, some coffee as I was caffeine-free for 24hours.  Also, I needed a bite to eat.  I drove around a little looking for a place to stop and walk but for some reason or another (dog agility class) there were no parking spaces downtown.  So I went to the next best place to walk and rest my weary little head...the thrift store!

Mondays are the worst day to go to a vintage-thrift store.  The weekends are usually busy and the shelves rather bare.  As I wandered around though I did see a few things that made my heart go pitter-pat. (or was that due to the fact I had just come from a stress test, having to run fifteen minutes on the treadmill??


old books get me every time.  Especially when they are inscribed.  "Mrs. Horton, 1933."  Except for the yellowing of pages and the torn jacket cover, this was in fantastic condition


...and then there is hob-nail milk glass.  Four ten-ounce tumblers with nary a chip.  Oh yeah, baby!


BIG chunky glass pieces fascinate me.  Look at all those little air bubbles!  This will soon be filled with coffee-beans, cinnamon sticks and a big candle.  Tied with some burlap ribbon and set on the entry table.
I also have, for many years, in my possession, a glass battery case.  It is quite large and extremely heavy and the next time I climb up on the counter top to dust it I will get some photos.  It dates from the 30's also.


and last, but not least, for today...mismatched dishes.  This is called "Tea Rose" and just looked like Fall to me.  Someday, I would love to have a dinner and serve each person off of a different place setting of China I have collected over the years.  It's a small collection but it would be so much fun.

It isn't the actual object or the having of material things that gets my little heart happy but it is the memories that are attached.  The memories that I have created of my childhood and family functions.  It's always sunny in there.  What gets your heart to pitter-pat and smile?

5 comments:

  1. absolutley the memories...
    my cousin brought me the butter churn she had from when we were kids... and I treasure it!!!!!
    not because it was either our grandmas or great grandmas or our aunts but becausei remember sitting at the bar turning the crank... making butter while grandma made rolls... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see your home some time!! With all of your "finds" I bet it is exactly what I would love! Thanks for posting! I love those glasses and what a clever idea for the bowl! (I might steal it! Post a picture when you have yours done, please?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was the perfect to kill some time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today my heart was pitter-pattering at the Sally Ann. There was all this small stuff that just pushed my buttons! I'll post about them on Saturday.
    Nice that you had a break from the appointments Jojo.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful way to spend some time...love thrift stores and you picked up a few treasures :)

    Anything related to my son's childhood or my Mom makes my heart go pitter-patter...ahhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...