"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Friday, February 14, 2014

spinning plates...

phew, what a week.  It feels like I can barely keep my balance much less trying to keep all my plates spinning at the same time.  I have never really seen anyone do that with the exception of television, have you?  Must be some sort of circus act and I would probably be in the circus if I were able to spin them.   Am I making any sense? 

I had a dental procedure on Monday and holy heck I never expected to be this uncomfortable four days later.  I'm looking like I got in a fight and came out on the losing end!  Two black eyes, and one side of my face in numb, he must have hit a nerve.  Add some chipmunk cheeks and I look absolutely adorable.  So back to the plates;  I have a dining room project that I had hoped to finish up this week but had to put on hold.   I have wanted to have a small gallery/plate display wall for quite some time and even experimented with one last summer.  We have a very small dining room, 8 x 8 at most and only one wall to work with.  Each of the other walls have windows or doors to other rooms.  Along this one wall I have my mother's china cabinet and while it is too big for the room I will not move it or change it up in any way at all.  That leaves a very small area for my display wall.   Let's just say that I have way more display material than wall.  

When we were on our vacation odyssey last Fall I found some interesting plates in a thrift somewhere in Montana.  I had wanted to add them to the display but I'm just not sure about it.  take a look:





they all have a "signature" on them but there are no markings on the back.  I haven't tried to find them online.  What do you think?  Would they be o.k. on a dining room wall or better in another room, girls bedroom?   I'm counting on y'all to save me from myself here!

Hope you are keeping safe and warm.  Wishing you all a sunny day!

10 comments:

  1. I hope you're feeling better. I don't think I've ever seen someone come out of a dental procedure like you have. I'll be sure not to mention this to my friend who has a phobia about any dental work at all and has not gone to the dentist in decades. Amazingly, in her 70's she still has perfect teeth !

    The plates are a real find. I'd look them up on-line and learn more about them. The colors are appealing to me to, but given your space for display , do you have a spare bedroom or hall wall to devote to them ? I could even see devoting a whole decorating theme around them in such a room. I think whatever you decide will work well though, after you're feeling better !

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like pieces of art and they would be perfect whenever you decide to use them! Great discovery! Hope by now you are feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they would look great in a bedroom. The "signatures" are just French sayings.
    Ca c'est bon means Is Good.
    Tres chic means Very Stylish
    I can't read the others though.

    I sure hope you get better. It sounds so painful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne, your opening few lines had me back in the 60's on a Sunday night watching those 'plate-spinners' on the Ed Sullivan Show!! Used to make me CRAZY!! lol!
    Now to those WONDERFUL plates you found in Montana......these are really nice! I see what you mean about where to put them. Certainly don't hide them in a bedroom......they must be seen! So unique they are. Do you think they are from the 60's? Wherever you put them, they will look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember watching plate spinners on Ed Sullivan too. I think I even tried it with mom's Melmac dishes and a broom handle. Turns out that doesn't work so well! I think your plates are lovely. I would enjoy seeing them in a sunny yellow room with blue/yellow/white. Airy, 50's and French.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you're starting to feel better, what an ordeal you've been through! I think anything we have done at our age, seems to be a huge shock to our system! I'm sure if you'd had that procedure done in your 20's, you would have popped right back in half the time!

    Your plates are fantastic, I think if you had a space just for crafting/sewing, I'd put them there, only because they are so inspirational...but I also think because they are plates, they'd fit
    right into a dining room too! I found a plate hanger with four holders,
    at VV's, something like that wouldn't take up very much space, and they would look fabulous (are there more than the 4 you shared with us), I hope you find a place for them, they're very special! Feel better & Big hugs, Debbie~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the new plates! They are beautiful!!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=Rosanna+Fashion+French+Salad+Desert+Plate+Coffee+Mug+Cup+Tres+Chic+Vintage+Model

    Can someone help you put a 'plate shelf' over your mother's china cabinet? Or perhaps some room inside the cabinet? I have to agree, they would look well in a sewing room, too.
    Good luck, Joanne. Have a wonderful Sunday! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous plates, Joanne. I don't know if I would think of them as dining room plates though-unless you have blue and white in there-then they would blend in. They'd be great in a bedroom or even (gasp) a bathroom-giving it a dressing room feel. What a great find those were.

    I so remember those spinning plates on Ed Sullivan when I was a kid. Do you remember the guy that pretended to be drunk and would do those plates? There was also a guy that pretended to be drunk and wore a top coat with tails and he jumped from chair to chair. I used to love to watch that with my Dad. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those plates, but not your dental woes! Hope you have dental insurance--we d8n't and I need 2 root canals done! No extra for them...it's depressing, huh! Feel better, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...