"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, December 20, 2010

The Santa Claus...


...I was three when we left Brooklyn and all of our extended families and moved across the country.  We had a car, our clothes and a small (tiny) u-haul trailer with our meager possessions.  In my arms was a girls best friend, her teddy bear, and in a box...Santa.

Poor Teddy was lost or left-behind in a hotel in El Paso, Que the quirky country song.  Something that broke my little three year old heart.  But, Santa survived.  He survived another eleven moves, and when my parents were still alive, he was the only thing us four children wanted in the will.  He has since spent the last ten years traveling from each of our houses to the next and spending the holidays with all of us.



 By the third Christmas that my parents had spent together, they were living in a new house with a brand new baby boy, born seven weeks premature.  There were mortgages to pay, hospitals to pay, and Christmas on it's way.  So my dad worked two part-time temporary jobs in addition to his regular job. 

 One of those jobs was at Milton-Bradley and, I was always sad when I heard that story because I thought if we had not moved from NY, I could have had every game and toy that they had ever made! 

The other job was at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel.  He would set up and break down banquet rooms for company Christmas parties.  At one such party they had these Santa's as the table centerpiece.  After the party was over and the tables broken down to be readied for the next party my dad found this last and lonely Santa.  All the others had been taken home by party guests.   My dad's boss, knowing he had a baby at home, offered it to him.  At first pop refused but as he walked out to the car he had second thoughts and went back for him.  He has been a treasured part of our family ever since.


He's aged a little over the years but is really no worse for wear.  I'm afraid now that if I tried to clean his beard that it would just fall out, or shrink, so I just let it be.  He is carefully unpacked every year for a short few weeks and then lovingly repacked until the next year, or the next move.  He carries with him all the wonderful memories of our Christmas past and as we move forward to our Christmas future I know he will always be safe and carry our special childhood secrets.

Long ago and oh so far away...

9 comments:

  1. Oh Sweetie...
    I love your Santa and the love that goes along with him. How precious that he is the one piece of Christmas that you all remember and love, and of course the love that your sweet Daddy brought him home with for you all.

    I can see why you all wanted him. I think it is great that he gets passed back and forth and that after all these years, he still gives you as many memories and so much love, of the memories for your folks. A beautiful family heirloom.

    He is in such great shape for his age. Oh sweetie, I love this story. Thank you for sharing it with me this evening.

    Many hugs to you sweet friend. May God richly bless you and your family this beautiful CHRISTmas season. Many hugs and SO much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. tears... I love your santa and the story that goes with him he is just priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tradition and special memories this little Santa holds.
    Take good care of him and thank you for sharing the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...this is the sweetest holiday story I've heard to date. ((Hugs)) Thank you so very much for sharing with us. Just made my day ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jo...that's such a sweet story and a sweet lookin' Santa. How wonderful that you have kept him all these years as a beautiful keepsake of a treasured memory.

    Have a wonderful Christmas,

    bunny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love hearing stories like this Jojo! What a treasure for you all to share. But it's got to be the memories that he holds that are really the treasures. I am so glad your dad changed his mind and brought that home.
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas dear friend.
    hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw JoJo what a wonderful story. Loved reading this and so happy for all of you that you still have such wonderful memories.
    As always I love visiting with you because you make me feel good.
    Thanks honey for the sweet comment you left for me and Gary. I do hate that you are going to have radiation too. I pray for you often.
    My radiation was not as bad as Gary's because it is his throart. So before long he want be able to swallow. Prayers are helping us so thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Merry Christmas
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...