"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

artsy fartsy January...


the dark dreary days of January are starting to sink in, that with the holiday let down and some other untimely issues, have begun to take us a dark place in my mind.  So in an attempt to entertain myself, 'cause really who else is gonna, I took some artsy photos last evening.

For the last several years during Thanksgiving holiday I plant paper whites.  Always without fail these lovely little flowers are blooming at Christmas and adding some much needed light and joy in the dark January days.  That is until this year.   I splurged and bought my bulbs from an online nursery and they were large...very large, so much in fact, that I needed two containers.  Sadly it took weeks for them to begin sprouting.

 as of yesterday this is as far as they have gotten.   The stalks are finally getting thicker and perhaps a bud or two are forming.
 but for now the rocks and marbles are the most interesting things in the planter.
 they are in their usual place on the counter, in the same planter, and same conditions as in past years.  Roots are spreading and I'm sure one day soon we will be enjoying their petite blooms.
One can never be disappointed to see flowers blooming especially in winter.  So I will put on my patience hat and enjoy the marbles until then.

do you plant paper whites indoors?  How are they doing this year?  And more importantly...how are you doing?  Be safe, be well, be...amazing.

4 comments:

  1. I saw an amaryllis bulb that was wax covered, and it grew indoors!!! Let those marbles shine, and soon maybe a flower or two to add to the colours. " Imagine", and I will "keep' hoping they flower for you before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really plant anything in the house. It's an old, old double-walled farmhouse with no insulation. Even aloe won't live in it, though I enjoy it until it all dies off. Between propane heat or window A/C, or a 'sun room' that stays mostly 40 degrees or whatever the temp is outdoors, I have a black thumb, haha. Unless it is something that will grow by itself with little to no care, it will die.

    I do hope your little flowers bloom soon. It could be the bulb was actually poor stock, I just don't know enough. Sorry. I do know where you *might* find an answer. A website called Dave's Garden has answers for a lot of things, and I think if you can't find the answer, you might be able to post and get an answer.

    Good luck. Take care and God bless, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never planted paper whites but I should do that one of these days. January is really a hard month to get through sometimes, isn't it? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done them in the past. This year I have herbs growing under a light. The rosemary is impressive and I run my fingers through it to enjoy the aroma. I am actually feeling so much better than I normally do in January. Best I have been since my Daddy died. Like a heavy veil is finally lifting. Hope your flowers bring you some joy!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...