"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

dreaming of bruschetta...

...recently we have been over-run with tomatoes.  Lots of tomatoes, especially cherry and pear tomatoes.  (and fruit flies, but that's another story.)  While contemplating what to do with all of them and looking for something besides marinara sauce my son suggested 'bruschetta.'  He had just made some with the bounty of tomatoes from his grandparents and so I thought I would give it a try.

If you are not familiar with bruschetta (which I was not) it is very simple to make and store and especially simple to eat, and overeat as the case may be.  It is often served as an appetizer in restaurants but we made a meal of it with french bread and avocado on the side.

All you do is wash your fruit, core and chop full sized tomatoes or halve grape, cherry and pear tomatoes.  Put them in a big bowl and add a chopped onion, garlic, peppers (I used a yellow and orange bell) artichoke hearts (not part of the original recipe but my addition) fresh herbs (I used what I had on hand) salt and pepper to taste.  Add splash of balsamic vinegar, 2 Tb of olive oil and mix it up using your hands.  Spread onto large baking sheet and roast in oven 400degrees for about 30 minutes making sure to stir it around every ten minutes or so.  Oh my, the smell is amazing and it tastes wonderful...and I don't even like the darn things!



I stored this in mason jars and it will keep well in the fridge for several weeks.  No need to process the jars but the ones I used were just out of the dishwasher and still hot.


 what have you been up to lately?  be well friends.







5 comments:

  1. Wow, your header photo is superb. And tomatoes, I will save your recipe for a try this summer, We have 3 plants doing well, 6 more ready to go out, but a few colder mornings meant we have kept them inside for a few more days. Love those yummy foody photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomatoes grew like our grapes, gangbusters !

    I have never made bruschetta but think now I will, it sounds delicious.

    Are you pleased the weather is a bit cooler ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so GOOD!!!!! That is a job well done. I can't do tomatoes-they tear up my system but my family would LOVE this. I am saving this recipe and will think of you when I make it! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your header photo is especially appropriate for October. :-)
    You could make salsa with your tomatoes, too.

    Hope you are doing well. God bless. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. send some brushetta to me!!! That sounds awfully yummy!!!!! awfully awfully awfully yummy!!!!!! I am not much of a cook but it sounds like even I may be able to handle this!!!!


    Heather

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...