"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

with apologies to my east coast friends...

...been away, far away, in the windmills of my mind.  My muse seems to be missing, or lost, or maybe she just ran away out of boredom.  Anyway, that was an unintentional blog break, is anyone still there?

I found that there is a way, a good way, to feel every muscle and fiber of your body.  To make it all hurt so badly you would think being run over would be less painful...yep, go camping with your grandchildren!  Yikes, we haven't camped since our kids were little, I've truly forgotten how hard the floor is (we had a cabin) and how loud a 2/4 year old can be at 10pm when I want to sleep.  

Our weather has been so fantastic, sorry East coasters, with temps in the 60's and sunny, clear skies.  We took off for the weekend to a little town upstate called LaConnor.  It is in the heart of the daffodil/tulip valley, a cute little town with fresh fish 'n chips, a marina, parks, little unique shoppes, all you could want for a weekend getaway.  Renting a small cabin at the local campgrounds we arrived on Friday afternoon and set up housekeeping.  Just feet from the beach and in time for a beautiful sunset.


Saturday morning the grandkids and their parents arrived and we spent the BEST day together.  The beach, hiking, playgrounds, more beach, skipping stones, falling off driftwood, climbing, eating, the beach and more eating...



 daughter and her family, not allowed to show faces.
 can you spot the little girl on her "princess throne" in the driftwood.  Aren't kids imaginations the best?
 I was up the beach a ways parked on a log as I had already taken a fall.  Looks like a family meeting taking place...hmmmm.







spent a crazy, funny, stuffy night in a tiny cabin and the next day, after some exploring, we came across the clubhouse.  Hot tub, sauna, showers, exercise room, shuffleboard (for old ladies according to M), pool tables, etc.  Spent most of the day playing here and then left for a trip into town.  Where we drove around and decided to head out as it was so very crowded and no parking PLUS I forgot my walker.  Didn't think it wise to trek into shoppes on my own two feet.  We all went our separate ways in search of some coffee and home.



As we were leaving we got lots of sloppy kisses and hugs that left traces of beachy hands and bits of food.  Suddenly all my hurting parts were squished back together again and that sweet baby love made it all better.  Still, I was happy to crawl into my own bed again.   Moral is: if you want to know how old you really are, take your grandkids camping!

8 comments:

  1. You are game! What a sweet memory you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had so many camping trips, from YES, on our honeymoon, to a few years ago, ranging from a tarpaulin stretched between trees, a minuscule tent, a larger tent, various caravans, and believe me, grandchildren are not a necessity to realising your age!!! So glad you did get away, and equally glad you are back in your own bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL- Joanne- We were just talking about that this week. My son is just finishing up an older motorhome and he has talked about CAMPING....lol MY idea of camping is pulling a motorhome into a Holiday Inn......lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! What a wonderful vacation!
    I have never seen a beach with such wonderful driftwood.
    Very grateful for all the pictures you took to share with us. Thank you!

    Oh, and welcome back! God bless. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This little getaway sounds absolutely PERFECT!!
    I can only imagine putting grandchildren into the mix, Joanne!

    Looks like a grand time was has by all....even with the aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All worth it though right? I do not camp anymore, no no no you are a brave woman!
    I go to the gym so I can survive The Boy, the older DGS are not hard on their GM anymore!
    My abs hurt this week, the trainers worked them hard!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So enjoyed your sweet post with the times spent with your family! Makes me miss the times when our children were small and we used to go to the beach! We don't have grandchildren yet.......but I can t wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a wonderful time! :-)

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...