"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Oh, my, my, my, MY, MY...what a little tart!


as I was being held hostage in the doctor's office last week (she was running late) I had time to peruse the latest three year old edition on Woman's Day magazine.  I don't usually read magazines because I'm too lazy to get my glasses out of my purse but this was desperate times so after rummaging around, the purse, I got the glasses and proceeded.
I found at least a half dozen recipes that I 'ripped' right out of that magazine and can hardly wait to prepare some of them   But first I needed some "tart-y" ingredients.


 a big beautiful bag of heirloom tomatoes, really the only kind worth growing or eating.  Disclaimer~these did not come from my garden.
 a nice big box full of Honey-crisp apples.  really the only apples worth eating, also not from my garden.
 a pretty tart made with sweet potatoes, onions, sage, Yukon golds, and apples.  I wasn't sure if I should prepare it for dinner or desert.  I went with dinner.


served with the sliced heirlooms, and an avocado/grapefruit salad.  Delish.  Let me know if you are interested in the recipe.  (It was easy-peasy, hardest part was peeling the apples and potato).
*oh, and the cheese, how could I forget the cheese.  Layers of lovely Asiago or Dubliner in my case.  It's quite yummy.

8 comments:

  1. Joanne, That is an unusual meal. Looks very tasty. I always the more colorful your meal the healthier . Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting twist on an apple pie. (or so it seemed at the beginning.)
    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good. My favorite apple is Golden Delicious and my tree is full. I have potatoes from my garden, too. Just need some really good cheese .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cut it out, Joanne! My stomach is growling!!
    Looks wonderful....and I agree with the apple selection too! I never had a heirloom tomato! Don't tell anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds awfully yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you show us the recipe for this. It's so unusual (at least to me). I have an apple crop ripening and some potatoes to harvest as soon as they die back--and even some lovely black cherry tomatoes to add--so I think it's meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I liked to cook! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The problem with heirloom tomatoes, if you can call it that, is once you have eaten them you never want to go back to the regular varieties. They are so amazing.
    The potato recipe would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...