"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, August 3, 2014

pinky and the trolley...


we went away for a few days last week, just a few days break, to Astoria, Oregon.  It is a small coastal town located at the mouth of the Columbia river.  It has always been the town that was a 'pit stop' on the way to bigger and better places like Seaside or Cannon Beach but this week it was THE stop.  And wow, how we ever missed this little jewel over the last thirty years is embarrassing.

It is a town wrought with history, hard fought and bulging with the remnants of yesteryear.  

The first day there we just settled into our hotel which was at the yacht club!  (goupon everybody, Groupon).  Each room faced the water, the river, and had a balcony at which we sat and watched the birds come and go, the fish jump, and the sun set.  It was so relaxing and so needed as behind the scenes our lives have been quite chaotic lately.

The next morning we took the trolley into town.  The old trolley runs from one end of town to the other, back and forth all day.  Anytime you want to get off you just yet out and they stop and help you up/down to the street below.  We went all the way to the end and back and then tried to decide where we wanted to go next.  Lunch.   Back on the trolley and  off at our luncheon spot, which overlooked the water, had fresh fish and about 25 craft brewed beers to choose from.  (I'm not a beer drinker but hubby loves trying something new in that category.)



inside the trolley, all original

ships waiting to offload grain

On our second trip on the trolley I had difficulty getting on board.  We were in a low part of the road and the step up was quite high so I ended half crawling in while the conductor held my hand and my hubby held my arm...no too embarrassing, but I did spend the rest of the day thinking about having to get back off the darn thing.  

Well, the time came to disembark as they say and I did just fine...at least the first step.  Gah, who put the second step so far down???  Well my prosthesis comes unlocked if I bend my leg too far back, which I did, and then I lost my footing on the left side and down I went out the trolley door headed for the ground.  Luckily, there were several people waiting to get on and saw what was happening and suddenly I was being lifted across and over the heads of several people and gently set down on the ground.  Angels perhaps.  The only casualty with the exception of my self-esteem was/is a broken pinky.  The one on the hand that has a broken wrist which is in a splint.  Now said pinky has it's own splint and will need surgical repair.  Next time I think I will skip the mosh-pit!!  End of day one!   I'll be back with more interesting pics soon.


poor pinky
 

5 comments:

  1. Glad you did not get hurt worse than that. But I know any pain is not welcomed.Take care, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not even moi has done a mosh pit! Another thing for my bucket list..tiny hugs and kisses to the pinkie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geesh! You sure know how to 'make an entrance', Joanne! Yes, you have angels all around you.
    We have spent a little time in this wonderful town of Astoria many years ago and fell in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn it! A broken finger...oh my. I'm so sorry and hope it's better soon. The trip sounded amazing and maybe sometime when we go and visit our son and his family in Portland we should make a stop there. We saw Cannon beach last visit and enjoyed it a lot. Hope this week is a good one and all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lawsy...I'm glad there were Angels around you sweetie....I'm sure it could have been much worse. Sounds like a wonderful time otherwise. I love Groupon. I just don't go too many places alone. The wood in the roof of the trolley is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...