"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I was strolling through the yard one day...





in the merry, merry month of May.   Okay, I don't know the rest of the song.  I swear, and my hubs will attest to this fact, I know the first verse to every song ever but that's it.  I can't tell you who sang it or when or any other line from the song just.the.first.verse.   Anyway,  the last few weeks when I've taken a big brave breath and wandered out into the backyard there has been a tiny little bird following me...chirp, chirp, ever so softly.  If I walk near the fenced areas she is on the fence 'talking' to me, almost in a whisper.  If I walk near the house she jumps to the roof and walks along with me, chirp, chirp.  Back and forth, up and down there she is.  Never loud, never anxious, never fearful.  Just chatty.  (do you know what she is?)


 Well, being the brilliant woman that I am I surmised that she must have a nest nearby.  I also assumed she was a 'she' since there was very little colouring to her.  So I looked high and low, in the trees and all the bird houses...nothing.  I checked all the obvious other places and still nothing.


I asked the hubby if he had seen a nest and he said he saw the bird but no nest and that she seemed to be hanging out by the garbage cans.  So we checked over there...carefully, and found nothing.  I decided to sit on the edge of my wrought iron patio chair which is in my secret garden and currently holding some lumber for a deck repair.  I looked over to pull some weeds out of an overgrown planter and there it was.  Hidden in plain sight.


This planter is about 15 inches off the ground and is grassy/weedy on the top.  The eggs are not even out of sight from a predator.  I was so surprised.  And the whole time she was just standing on the fence watching me without a peep. 

I know better than to mess with mother nature but what was this little mama thinking?  Every day we check on them and they are still there and she is still on the fence.  No sign of the Mr.  And it has been raining hard the last few days, and cold.  I keep thinking I should bring an umbrella and blankie out there.  Gah, this mom stuff is tough. 

How is your week going?

6 comments:

  1. Oh- I hate when birds build their nests so low. So do mourning doves. They are basically ground birds and do a poor job of nest building Not sure what your birds are though. Hope you have a great night- I am off to bed -I am wiped out tonight- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I hope they make it through. Who knows. Nests higher up are not always safe. I have seen the crows take baby robins out of them high up in our evergreen tress.
    Just wait until they hatch and are teenagers... you will be in full mama mode watching them try to spread their wings and fly. Gulp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne, I saw a robin's nest on the ground a couple years ago. It was near a telephone pole in high grasses. Strange to me, as I always thought they nested in trees or eaves. But I know what you are saying about , in plain sight. LOL. xoxox, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking some sort of Junco, but I don't really know.
    Hope the eggs will be okay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at all those eggs! That is a brood! I have no idea what type of bird she is, Joanne.
    Funny how she has bonded with you.....then again maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so funny.. I too have a bird nesting.. a mourning dove siting on a few eggs in a hanging plant basket right outside my kitchen window. Doves always seem to be paired, yet the Mister is nowhere to be found - just like yours. Love watching day to day, awaiting the arrival!
    Hope you are improving Joanne!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...