"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, May 15, 2014

I have proof that Spring has arrived!


asparagus, lovely bright fresh tasty asparagus.

So, first you get out your skillet and place it on the stove.   Add a splash of olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lemon, some minced garlic, a few drops of water and your own special seasonings.  THEN, and this is the most important part, go out to your garden and cut a bunch of said asparagus.  Bring them in the house and rinse them well.  Now turn the burner to medium and when the mixture is warm toss in the spears making sure to get them all well coated in your special sauce.  Let them cook about 10 minutes tossing them occasionally.  Remove from heat, find a pretty plate, slap away greedy hands and serve yourself some awesomeness.


*of course cooking times will vary.  We like ours crisp with a little "snap" to them.  I used basil, cilantro and dill but if you mix it up with other herbs you will get an entirely different entree.  The first crop is always the best, and fresh is the only way to go with asparagus...stay away from the store!  Enjoy.

p.s. not a food blog

10 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I have NEVER done asparagus in a frying pan. I am waiting for asparagus to be in season here. Not quite yet-it is still cold and we are supposed to be freezing tonight. UGH.

    Hope you are doing okay. Did you type this all left-handed? lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Google just eat my reply? If not, ignore this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, apparently it DID eat my reply. Seems it likes Asparagus, too.
    Anyway, there is nothing wrong with food blogs. ;-)
    Congratulations on finding spring! It sounds quite delicious, too.:-)
    Have a wonderful, blessed Friday, Joanne. *hugs* ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. We Love asparagus too! Cook it about the same way!! Yummy. It's cold here. Frost tonight! Got to go cover the roses my daughter planted out front for Mother's Day!! UGH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I roll mine in a little olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and pop them in the oven at 350 until they sizzle. I will have to try the skillet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am coming for dinner!!!!!!!!! I loooooove asparagus! How cool that it grows in your garden!!!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! This looks so good Joanne!
    I will have to go to the market to get fresh local asparagus and try them your way!
    I have always steamed them but will definitely try this out! I will call it 'Joanne's asparagus' from now on!! Except I don't like dill or cilantro too much and will stick with basil. thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous! Getting asparagus started in the garden can be a challenge and I've never been brave enough...but boy does that look yummy. I love asparagus and sometimes the store is OK but if I can get it fresh it's a treat. Enjoy your crop! It's a great veggie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oven-roasted, then splashed with balsamic vinegar. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All I've ever had has been the mushy ones from a can.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...