"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

have you seen the blues...

...I've been seeing the 'blue hour' mentioned a lot lately on several blogs and decided to do a little checking for myself.  Of course, as is my duty,  I am sharing this new-to-me phenom with you!

have you ever taken a photo at dusk when the sky was ordinary only to find it strikingly blue when uploaded?   Me either, but  apparently it does  happen and the reason is the blue hour...described by wiki;

The blue hour is the period of twilight each morning and evening where there is neither full daylight nor complete darkness. The time is considered special because of the quality of the light. Photographers call it sweet light.

the amazing thing about the blue hour is that it can't be seen by the naked eye so it is usually by happenstance that you find it.   You would be wondering how you took such an amazing photo and attempt to recreate it not knowing the secret.  I have yet to capture this sweet light as our weather has not been cooperating but I have my camera at the ready.  You don't need a special camera or lens but it works best if you use a tripod.

if you go to the blue hour site it will give you the best time of day for your area to capture it.  Also, they will show you some gorgeous examples and give you some links for more information.

I wanted to show you some before/afters but posting  this one handed is taking longer than I thought.  If you happen to catch the blue hour please share it with me.  I am finding this quite fascinating.
he blue hour comes from a French expression, l’heure bleue, which refers to the period of twilight each morning and evening where there is neither full daylight nor complete darkness. The time is considered special because of the quality of the light at this time of day. 
The funny thing about the blue hour, it is basically invisible to the naked eye
- See more at: http://betweennapsontheporch.net/blue-hour-sky-photography/#sthash.OynnqQ5y.dpuf
he blue hour comes from a French expression, l’heure bleue, which refers to the period of twilight each morning and evening where there is neither full daylight nor complete darkness. The time is considered special because of the quality of the light at this time of day. 
The funny thing about the blue hour, it is basically invisible to the naked eye
- See more at: http://betweennapsontheporch.net/blue-hour-sky-photography/#sthash.OynnqQ5y.dpuf

9 comments:

  1. Joanne, I have a few photos like you mentioned. I could not tell at what time those certain hours are...but the photos are bluish. I'll post one tomorrow and you can see it. Hope you are enjoying Spring...it's getting a bit warmer around these parts.xoxoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a photographer, I've always known that mornings and evening are the best light and that twilight is one of the best times for shooting. But, I have never heard of "the blue hour" so I'm going to go get myself educated. If I find out that I've been photographing with a blueish tone and didn't know about it... I will let you know. I will do a whole post on it.
    Thanks for the information. Let's see what we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe when I get home I have been taking pics like a crazy woman at all times of day. Twilight has always been a favorite time of mine for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm usually never out at those times, but I do thank you for learning something new today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew formally about the blue hour, but I have felt it my entire life. I remember as a girl, playing out in the pastures at that time when the dew was just setting on the grass and the frogs began croaking. There was an unearthly, heady feeling that came over me.I could only describe as being high. Now I know. It was the blue hour. Thanks. And welcome back. Hope you're healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard this term for this time of day but have noticed that it is a special time to take photos......very soft and calm light.
    I will check this website, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard about it but never tried a photo during l'heure bleu. But since it's you, Joanne, and I only have to wait another 20 minutes for it to appear--guess it's time I tried to capture it for myself. If I fall in love with it and only post blue hour photos thereafter--well, you have only yourself to blame!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this happen but didn't know it had a name! I even blogged about it last summer. I'll have to go back and find it! Thanks for the link. Maybe I can get another shot this year. My previous one was a tad blurry. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I took a picture of my newly painted wooden railing on my front porch during the blue hour. The railing had been painted hunter green before I repainted in an almond cream colour. The wierd thing was in the picture one railing looked the new colour and the other looked the old one? It was a little creepy actually. Great blog site. Cheers, Nessie

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...