"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, January 26, 2014

of all the things my blog is not....


 ...Not a do-it-yourself blog.
Not an advice blog.
Not a gardening blog.
Not a photo blog (not good ones anyway.)
Not a knitting/sewing/crocheting blog.
Nor a quilting blog.
Not a home repair, organize, cleaning blog.
and more than anything else,
NOT a cooking blog.

So against all odds, I am going to make/cook something today.
Don't get too excited, it takes no talent, or much time, no measuring, no baking...just my type of cooking.  BUT it is healthy, and full of all sorts of goodness that you can add to many other things to make them taste better or sneak in some veggies.  Ready?  

Homemade stock.   This is vegetable stock, the only kind I make so that I can share it with the vegetarians in my family.

I noticed this week when I cleaned my veggies that I had so much 'stuff' leftover and a few things that were past their prime but in no way needed to be thrown out.  No mold or slimy on anything please.
So I got out a stock pot, the largest one you own works best.  And into it I threw, literally, the ends of all the veggies I had just cleaned.  Peppers, leeks, carrots (including the peels after washing), celery,  a few tomatoes, cabbage leaves and some mushroom stems.  Fill with cold water to cover the veggies, this is where I add salt and pepper but that is completely optional, cover and bring to a boil.  Turn the heat to simmer and let it go for about two hours while you clean, or play with your grandbaby, or read, or go for a walk...



 before;

after about two hours turn the heat off and mash all the goodness with a potato masher.  It will look quite unappetizing and 'icky' if you show it to a three year old.
 let it cool and then strain into a clean bowl (a pyrex bowl with a pouring side works best),
when completely cool you can store it in quart jars, or freezer containers, or just put it in the fridge.  I would suggest freezing if you are not going to use it in a few days.  Now this is great as a base for soups, rice, beans or you can use it as a V-8 alternative if you are like the hubby.   This batch made three quarts and I kept one for us and shared the others.

I had forgotten how quick and easy this is to do and it's been quite awhile.  But now that stock in the grocery store is close to $4 I decided to rethink this.   This budget thing is going to work, no matter what!      Happy Monday peeps...stay warm and indoors if possible.  It looks miserable out there...still having freezing fog here!

12 comments:

  1. I need to do this, Joanne. I used to do it all the time and then freeze it in "blocks" and pull them out as I needed them. But- I always made chicken or beef stock and have never made the veggie kind. I think I need to try this- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be much better at remembering to make this, it's so easy. But in the summertime I don't think about winter soups etc.

      Delete
  2. I was looking at all the veggies needing to be used up this week and then saw your post .Of course, why didn't I think of that ? I have a bag of clean organic kale I am excited to use for this. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Joanne! I do something similar when I make chicken broth. I think i need to start doing the veggie broth. The only change I might make, would be I often add garlic, too. :-)
    We are supposed to be below freezing for the next 3 days! And we may get more snow. Can't remember the last time it snowed twice in one year in Louisiana. :-)
    Stay safe! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joanne! I've never made veggie stock before. But as soon as I accumulate a few more veggies, I'm gonna give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to buy a stock pot---and then I wonder, will I use it enough to afford a decent one! Where would I store it in my tiny, cluttered kitchen! I mainly have up to 8 quart pots or so. Need to re-think this! Wonder where my canner is!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I came to visit the right day! Really hope you are doing well and shall catch up with your older posts!
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivan, I hope this means you are doing better too. ;j

      Delete
  7. This is so good Joanne and far better than the 'canned' stuff from the store. Good idea.
    It reminds me of what the chefs did at a restaurant I worked at many years ago. It was a 'fish' restaurant and they would throw everything they had into a pot to create their 'broth' for their recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate the "I'm not a ( ) blog." I understand this completely. We are, in artistic terms, "multimedia" bloggers. We are versatile and creative. Anyone who can do a blogpost on a good vegetable stock is all right in my book. You go girl! I'm going to make some this weekend and throw some chicken into it.
    Thank you, from my little schizophrenic blogging heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lot of cooking for a woman who doesn't. Lol

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...