"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

it's here, it's here, it's finally here...







 ...it's finally here, the beginning of a New Year.  Not being one to look too far forward or too far back I must admit that I am glad to see 2013 come to an end.  Many wonderful memories and experiences have graced our lives; our daughter's first child (a grandson), celebrating birthdays of our children, grandchildren and loved ones, our long awaited debacle 60/40 vacation, celebrating 40 years of weddedness, and turning 6-0.  Still don't know how that happened!  I feel like a child inside, maybe because I am surrounded by them!  The tough times were tough indeed.  A lost spring and summer due to emergency surgery and continued health problems for me and impending surgery for a surprise diagnosis for hubby.   I think looking back any further would negate the lessons learned from 2013 and possibly taint the things I am so grateful for.

Thus I come to my new word for the year.

Last year's 'nourish' did serve me quite well.  I was often reminded to nourish my body during my long recovery, and worked diligently to nourish my soul, to cherish each and every relationship I have and nourish those friendships that have sadly slipped away.  I took on the challenge of renewing my relationship with my sister but after ten years I am afraid it is lost.   I truly believe I have done everything in my power to invite her back into my life and thought maybe that would happen when I was so ill in the hospital but once again she walked out of my life without a single word as to why.  So I am giving her what she seems to want...peace.  The door is and always will be open for her if she decides to return but I must move forward now, this has taken far too much from me.

And that new word for 2014.

COURAGE;

to face my fears and step out of my comfort zone.
to keep my promises no matter the difficulty.
to get my life back to 'normal' after such a difficult summer.
to get caught up on all the things I let go during my recovery.
to get back in the car and drive again.
to eat right, exercise...take that first step.
to care for my husband.
to believe.

No resolutions here, I gave up on those long ago.  Life is not about depriving yourself of something, within limits, but it is a journey of discovery, of learning, of becoming.

What are your wishes for the New Year?

be well friends, be safe, be blessed.


there are great things waiting on the other side of fear.

19 comments:

  1. Happy new year! I love the thought of not looking too far ahead but living and enjoying the present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not too look too far ahead as it terrifies me...

      Delete
  2. You had quite a year of it,Joanne...and I suffered along with you when you had so many trials this past year. I am hoping that 2014 will be full of promise and bright new things for you. Courage is a GREAT word. I have always thought you faced life with courage! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I sure don't feel that way about myself...big baby!!!

      Delete
  3. it has been a year for you so I am hoping that 2014 will be the best for you! To better health, love, friendship, and overall happiness to you this year!!!!

    heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I hope the same for you! Keep your eye on your mailbox!

      Delete
  4. I think you faced 2013 with plenty of courage and I really like that you've picked that word for 2014. I know you'll achieve what you put your mind to do! I wish you much health for this new year. I work in the health industry and know how much it is desired, hoped for, worked at, and struggled with. Happy New Year good blog buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that saying when I was growing up, "when you've got your health you've got everything." So true. I would love to know what that feels like! Happy New Year Yaya sweetie.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your comment at The Chronicles! I'm thankful we'll have a heating bill; too many won't because they don't have heat, so for all my complaining, I realize I have much to be thankful for. :)

    Courage is a great word for 2014. Your 2013 was one that showed you how to have it, now you get to perfect your art of courage. I hope both the bad things and the good are all BETTER in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Nani, I know how much courage you must have to deal with adversity and you are an inspiration to me!

      Delete
  6. Yes Joanne, 2013 was a tough one for you. I can see here in this post that you developed courage along the way this year because here you are! You made it through those difficult periods with flying colours. Good for you. And here's to a continued very courageous 2014. All the best to you Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you have an anchor word this year? Stay warm friend.

      Delete
  7. Hello Joanne...Met you through Diann's blog , The Thrifty Groove. Hope you have a good and healthy new year. I'm going to try to follow your blog. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to meet you and can't wait to check out your blog!!

      Delete
  8. Hi Joanne! Nice to meet you. thanks for joining my Social Network Party. I am your newest follower (via GFC). I hope you are having fun meeting new bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so happy to see you, obviously I am already a follower but this is my first party. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Hi Joanne! You are such a motivator! Thank you for being YOU! I look forward to seeing your blog each time I stop by and want you to know that for me, you keep me going! Thanks for sharing your thoughts....you really have a gift of writing! My New Year's Wish for you is to have a Blessed year and that it be filled with much happiness. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of you and wonder how you are, even if I don't stop by the blog as often as I used to. (I will try and be better this year.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sara, I have missed you so much. We were in SD last fall and were re-routed during a blizzard, we ended up in Nebraska and I saw a sign for Alliance 56 miles...I was wishing I had you phone number! Maybe next time, or if you come out for a Husky game. Hope all is well. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  10. 2013 was indeed a rough year and I'm not sad to see it end either. I like shiny new beginnings that hold some promise for change. Courage is a good word--going forward, through fear, to a place of knowledge and wisdom.

    I'm sorry that your sister is choosing a different path than you could have wished. Family can be so challenging. At least you tried. Thank heavens for patient and loving friends!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...