"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Monday snap and a bunch of crap...





I spent the afternoon with this child last week and we did grandma/grandgirl types of things.  We made Christmas cookies and decorated the tree (with fairie wings), we watched an episode of Dora and then ordered a pizza!  After that we ate a cookie, just one.  We had such a sweet time together and I really wanted to capture the moment but this child will not let you take her picture.  If she sees the camera out she will look away from you, stop talking and pretty much ignores you.  Then if you can get a picture of her it is always fuzzy because she is two and never stops moving!  I don't know if it's me or the camera or just what the trick is to taking a photo of someone who is in constant motion!  I took 56 pictures that afternoon and this is the only one that is semi-clear.  I had to crop everything else out to bring her closer...notice the grumpy face.

When I was growing up *crap* was considered swearing so it was never heard/spoken in our home.  When I met my husband, to-be, his family used that word often and interchangeable with other words in everyday conversation.  It was a tough thing for my parents to get used to although hubby tried not to say it.  Still to this day that is the word that comes flying out when things are going wrong.  Of course it only gets better from there.  Don't know why I brought that up, just feeling like "that" today.  So much drama at this time of year and I don't want any part of if, but somehow I always manage to end up in the middle of something...crap.

Have a happy Monday and a good week...spread some cheer and joy, it only takes a smile!

12 comments:

  1. Too funny! Crap was a forbidden word for me growing up but I like the word as an adult.

    Precious picture and it sounds like you are making memories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. somehow even as an adult it still feels like I'm swearing and gonna get in trouble!

      Delete
  2. I've had my share of crap-ola latley...I won't go into it, but a few sleepless nights...and when my 'just get over it' attitude kicks in, that should fix it right up...I hope anyhoo! Crap wasn't a word we'd hear at my house growing up either. My folks didn't swear or drink, but they were kinda out there. I'd say if they were products of the 60's, they would've been hippies, but I wouldn't call them beatniks sp. either, they were artistic, into the little theatre, and my Mom was an avid reader, enjoyed writing, and very spiritial. Seems like they would have sworn a lot, but it just wasn't what they were about! Take care, xo Debbie, the one from the other side of the Emerald City!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my parents were definitely children of the depression era. They rarely, if ever, swore. But, my mother could string a bunch of completely innocent words together and make them sound like swearing!

      Delete
  3. Oh- I hate when crap like that happens around the holidays- ro anytime for that matter. I am sorry that you got thrown into the middle of something, Joanne! If I REALLY want to make the old boy mad here- all I have to do is swear. It is like a match to gasoline but it sure gets his attention.

    Your little granddaughter is darling. My two grandsons (mimi's boys) are both like that- neither one will stop to let me take their picture and the old one pitches a fit when I try to photograph him. lol Someday he will stop moving! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could only tell you what the crap-ola is over you would think it crap-tastic!

      Delete
  4. You captured your granddaughter anyway, in spite of her camera shy ways. My daughter's children run and hide when I bring the camera out and finally now we have a truce. I take pictures for family albums and any pictures I post on-line are posted with their permission, and that is my promise to them. Your granddaughter is a little young for such negotiations, but I do sympathize with this generation, parents & relatives constantly making them stop mid-activity for a photo shoot and "documenting" everything for public consumption. One day your granddaughter will appreciate your thoughtful way of writing about her, but until then, your pictures will be the best because they show HER !

    I am so sorry to read you've found yourself involved in cr--.Ha, that was a word I was never allowed to say either, and although I am not a swearing woman, this word comes out of my mouth more frequently than I care to admit.( maybe it's because I clean a lot of it up around our chicken, sheep, & dog yards ? ) Sometimes you just have to call a thing what it is.

    I hope this Christmas season is a good one for you no matter what cr-- comes your way ! ( would you tell your granddaughter I wish her a merry Christmas and hope Santa brings her what she most dearly wants ? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have to say it if you are up to your knees all day in it right?

      Delete
  5. Hey Joanne, one photo in 56 is not bad at all considering you had to run after a 2 year old!! Now that would have been a great series of photos to see!! lol
    I know you know how fortunate you are to have this time with your grand -daughter.....it must really lighten the soul. She is the one in your header....right? That photo makes me smile every time I see it.

    Taking photos of kids is an art in itself I think. Some people are so good at it.

    So 'crap' was one of the words banned in your home while growing up. One of my parents' banned words was 'stupid'. I think crap would have been on that list too but we just knew never to use that anyway!! Funny eh how our folks clung on to these 'little things' which I guess in their minds only lead to 'bigger things'.

    This time of year is FULL of emotion and expectations...can be difficult. Keep that smile and I will take your advice and smile till my cheeks hurt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought of "crap" as the gateway word to even bigger swear words!!

      Delete
  6. She's adorable, but I think kiddos either love having their picture taking, or just don't! I have a couple of both! Glad you had a fun day and I hope your **** gets better! (We try not to swear around here too!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 13 grandchildren. Some pose willingly for me, others are always on the run. And the teens are scared silly of looking ugly...as if they could! Anyhow, I find bribery works best. "We'll have ice cream if you smile for me..." With the older girls, I won their confidence and undying gratitude by learning how to edit the pimples off of their faces. They've learned that grandma can give them a flawless complexion. However, I still ask their permission before posting anything. Your litte gal is adorable, frown or not.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...