"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

if you thresh it they will come...


...a few weeks ago the field behind my house was full of corn stalks and jack-o-lanterns.  Then came the thresher knocking everything to the ground, spilling it around and under, and cutting it all up into tiny little pieces.

a few days later there were several Canada geese in the area and they seemed to be very interested in this 'new' land that they had discovered.  Then about three days later there were more geese, and more, and more and now there are a multitude of them.  Hundreds and hundreds from dusk 'till dawn squawking and squealing for hours on end.  A most delightful song albeit quite unnerving to the dog and several neighbors who have complained to the authorities about the noise.

The authorities came and approached the geese nicely telling them it was time to leave.  No go.  Then the authorities made some hysterical noises, sent out a little robot 'animal' and called the television stations to report the errant geese.  No go.  Then they gave up went home and left the geese to all the photographers in town.  Still they were unshakable.

Yesterday, the Trumpeter Swans appeared.  Gorgeous, long-necked, snow white swans, happily mingling with the out of towners (Canada geese).  It's a beautiful symphony of nature and I for one am loving every moment of it with child-like fascination.  What will show up next is the question of the day?

(photo warning; these were taken from across the field with my cell phone.  Not the best but I think you can make out hundreds of birds, happy as clams.)



 behind the green shed...
 mostly geese here...
 a few swans mixed in...


 many, many, many geese.

Have a great day filled with happy surprises, but keep your head covered!

7 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of pooping squawking geese...they are noisy and nasty. There needs to be a hunting season for them.:):) I hope they do not venture as far as your lawn. That is one reason to not make abig pond.. Hope you have a great week. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well Susie, if they were in the park across the street from my house I would probably feel the same way. For now at least they are staying in the field. Free fertilizer for the pumpkin patch right?

      Delete
  2. LOL! For sure! Cover that head!
    Now you know that Canada Geese are not at all like their 'human compatriots'. They are noisy alright while we are very placid and quiet.....for the most part.
    lol
    What a sight that is, Joanne! We have them landing here every fall and spring on their migration routes.....far enough away in the Salt Marsh but audible enough to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know Jim, that I know most Canadians are very polite people. I do happen to be French/Canadian so I am also quite placid, ha! It is quite a sight but I'm glad they are across the road. They all take off around 4pm and it is something to see!

      Delete
  3. I don't have this problem, however, I would not complain as long as they were not in my driveway. I love to watch and listen to the swans and geese and ducks. We have quite a few at our local park/pond. This is a big land and there is room for all of us. (at least there should be) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Edna. I have lived across from this farmer for 15plus years and this is the first time I've seen anything like this. Rather interesting and it doesn't bother me at all!

      Delete
  4. Such a great gift!! How beautifully exciting to see the geese en masse! hhhaa you made me laugh with "happy surprises - keep your head covered!"

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...