"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Tuesday..whoops! Wednesday thrifty thing...

...while on our fantastic voyage through around the National Park system we did manage to make some fun of our own.  In Billings, MT while filling up with petrol and doing some necessary things I spotted, across the street and down the alley, a thrift store!  Yay!  I had to check out what the good people of Montana were throwing, recycling,  giving away.  This store was in a rather questionable part of town, near the railroad tracks across the road from an old abandoned building with broken windows.   Hey, we were on an adventure right?
So I went in and wandered around feeling quite secure in my surroundings (which just means I wasn't paying attention) and I came across the dish section.  This was a huge building and there were rooms and rooms of 'stuff' and it was all very organized, a balm to my OCD mind.  Anyway, back to the dishes.  I don't usually 'fall' for dishes but I do occasionally pick up the odd tea cup or plate.  Well I came across a set of dishes that had hydrangeas on them.  The pattern just caught my eye and settled there, all the set was missing was the cups.  Set of 6 plates, bowls, salad plates, and saucers.




I got this set and a bag of vintage linens (coming soon) for $10.  Plus it was a Tuesday so it was sale day 50percent off and then because I'm old, senior discount, I got another 50percent off.  Not a bad deal at all.
As we were leaving the hubby nodded to me to look over to the edge of the road not far from where we had parked.  There were two men, one of them laying in the road obviously passed out and the other sitting in the road with a paper bag.  When we had first pulled up to the store these two were at the front door waiting for them to open...the store was giving away free food to those who were in need.  I didn't know whether to be scared or grateful or both.  It was a very interesting day...

3 comments:

  1. Joanne, Too many of those kinds of neighborhood around any more. I do like your dishes though. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh- Joanne- You had the "best" (or worst) adventures! lol I LOVE those plates though- hydrangeas are some of my favorite plants in the world and I love them printed on anything. There is a picture in our upstairs bath of hydrangeas. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely set of dishes. How lucky!
    I would have been afraid to go in, too; but I would love to find some huge thrift stores around here.
    Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...