"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, November 4, 2013

Monday snap...


 ...on the fourth day we decided to check out and forage for ourselves, not that we weren't already doing so. No one ever telling us that people down the road, around the corner (?) had dropped off ham and cornbread, or hot water for coffee.  Nor were we told that one of these same folks was trying to cook spaghetti on their propane BBQ and we were welcome to help ourselves, if we could get there.

The road through town had been plowed and the parking lot shoveled.  I don't know where the shovels came from but the 'girls' were out taking care of the sidewalks and parking lots.  (clue?)  We took a quick trip through town and then made our way up the hill towards Rapid City.  There were wires, telephone poles, utility boxes, and trees down everywhere and it was a little tricky getting out.





But back for a moment to our hotel.  It was still dark, cold and all around miserable when we decided to leave and stay in the car if necessary.  As my hubby went down to load up the car I came slowly stumbling and mumbling through the darkened hallways lit only by my light stick.  As I finally made it around the corner to the lobby area I heard voices talking softly.  So I did what any person in their right mind would do, I stopped in my tracks and listened.  It was the hotel manager and the 'girls' having a semi-private conversation.  They were asking him if they could 'charge up' their computers in his room later.  To which he replied that they could and also began to tell them how he was going to break in to the gift store, again.  AGAIN.  Apparently a few days earlier, at the height of the storm, he broke into the attached gift shop and 'borrowed' flashlights, batteries, all the food he could find, hand warmers, etc.  None of these items were ever, EVER, offered to any of us.  And not once, NEVER, through the whole fours days did he come to check on us to make sure we were alright or if we needed anything!  Food, candles, flashlights would have been my first guess.    He also had a gas heater that was hooked up to the pool heater and still working.  So as we were freezing under five blankets, wearing all our clothes, splitting a protein drink and two oreos he was in his little apartment all warm and cozy chomping down on snack food and reading by the light of flashlights and candles.  I was furious.  As I came the rest of the way around the corner he retreated back to his little home away from home and the girls feigned  any idea of what was going on.  I couldn't get outside fast enough, into the car, and tell the hubs.  He was not one bit surprised but decided to save his energy for driving and deal with the manager later.  grrrrrr.

Just got the bill yesterday....hmmm.  Working on my statement to them right now!

7 comments:

  1. OMGosh, Joanne! I missed the earlier part of this tale and will have to go back and catch up. UNFLIPPINGBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! What is WRONG with people? You poor girl. Glad you got home safe and sound to write this tale down. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have allowed him the luxury of a retreat. I would've throttled him where he stood and, would notify the BBB, any and all newspapers, TV stations and all forms of media to denounce and expose this POS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Mike said. Unbelievable. You should have notified the police, too.
    :\
    *hugs* ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Methinks the manager and his minions have some karma drifting their way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what a "statement" this will be... I hope. What an A$$ he was. I sure hope you let someone know what happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Do you believe this!! How could anyone be so selfish at a time like this?
    You know what they say about Karma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read your statement and see what response you get and just how the owners of this hotel / motel respond. As Mike said, the media might have something to say too. I can't believe the neglect and completely self-serving behavior of this man, well , maybe I can. But it should not be tolerated.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...