"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday snap...

...I know it seems to be taking me longer to tell the story than it did to live it but I did what all great travellers do.  When we got home, unloaded the car, did 14 loads of laundry, unpacked food/etc. boxes, went to see a grandbaby, did some grocery shopping...got sick.  We have been miserable sick all week.  Don't you love when you come home from a three week vacation and then take the next four days off work because you are sick...(hubs)

After a 100 mile detour around Yellowstone Park which, by the way, we were told only the attractions would be closed not the highway, we decided to head to Keystone anyway.  I mean it's not like they can throw a sheet over Mt. Rushmore right?  So we were turned back to the highway from seeing the Badlands and continued to Keystone arriving around 4pm.  It's a little touristy town at the base of Mt. Rushmore.  It is described as a resort town but most of it closed down for the season when they heard of the gov. shutdown.  Our hotel was only one of a dozen that was open and it was full when we got there.  We unloaded the car and took a walk through town.  Cute little place with about a dozen stores on each side of the street, scattered with a few eating spots and one espresso stand.  Thank the Lord!   I couldn't run over there fast enough, and that is hard to do on one leg and a boardwalk.  I got there just in time to tell the Mister how to make a vanilla latte...ahhhh.  I told him I would be back every single day of the coming week, yeah silly me.   Anyway we got our coffee and some dinner and a good nights sleep, anxious to get out the next day and explore.

The week before we were there the weather was in the 90's, sunny with warm evenings.  We showed up to find cloudy skies and a chill in the air.  We didn't pack winter clothes but were not worried at this point.  We spent the day driving around and checking out all the things that were interesting but closed.  The Gutzon Borglum Museum at the end of town looked to be very interesting.  He was the sculptor commissioned to sculpt Mt. Rushmore.  There are sculptures all over town that bear his name.  Several times I mistook them for real people, especially after the snow storm.  We headed up to the mountain where we came across this sign....*sigh* my favourite movie!


We rounded the corner and there it was....and so was the road blocks.  We could drive up and down the street but were not allowed to stop or get out of the car and take pictures.  Well don't they know you can take pictures out the car window even when the car is moving??  Silly gov'mt.





here's a profile view of George.  Looks as if it might just roll off the mountain~~
we drove back and forth a few times and then we were shooed away so we continued down the road where we ended up in a state park or animal preserve.  We didn't see any signs of where we were or that it was closed, no roadblocks and definitely no people.  Tomorrow I will show you what we saw on that little drive.

Happy Monday all...




7 comments:

  1. I hope to someday see Mt. Rushmore. I have never been there. Momma went many years ago with a friend, but she and I never made it there together.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to fool them enough to get some pictures.
    Hope everyone is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does look like 'George'!
    Oh those October colds!! I am lucky so far....fingers crossed!
    Next trip you will be able to get out and explore, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when we were there..I loved it and I love South Dakota. I think all the Presidents on that mountain are rolling over in their graves at the ridiculous way the government is behaving...closing our parks..so dumb. I can't think of anyone in power today deserving their heads carved in stone. I'm glad you didn't let it ruin your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A place I've always wanted to see. So sorry your vacation was during the shutdown. What a mess. I'm glad you got to see something.
    Hope you feel better soon and recoup fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't you just imagine Teddy Roosevelt getting out his big stick and heading over to Congress to whip them into shape?! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh- If only you had known what lay ahead at this point (remember I am reading backwards in your posts here). Glad you got to see Mt. Rushmore- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...