"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, September 8, 2013

lime-y..

 
this past week has brought
some highly overdue
but
often rather harsh
storms.
 
As I peer out my kitchen
window
I can see these storms
have
wrought much damage.
 
out of the corner of my
eye
I see my hydrangea,
most
of her blooms leaning
over
towards the ground.
 
This is my only hydrangea
plant
that has survived our
summer,
due to lack of
attention
from the husband who
waters
the garden and forgot
there
were three more on the
side of the house.
 
I made a trip out to see what I could
recover.
 
 

quite to my
surprise
 

I was able to
recover
many of the blossoms.


to an even larger
surprise
I found many of the blossoms
lime-green,
many of them
white...


and one forlorn
lonely
one, sagging over almost to the
ground
was
blue.

I quickly snipped
them
gave them a little
shake
and brought them into the
house
to spend a few
weeks
in my old
ironstone pitcher.
I don't know if they will
dry
well since they are
so
full of moisture
but
that won't stop me
from
trying.
 
Enjoy your Sunday!

8 comments:

  1. Oh- I love my dried hydrangeas, too, Joanne. I read somewhere in blogland that one of the gals fills her pitcher with water and plops the blooms in and lets them dry that way. She says they retain their blooms a lot better that way. Who knew? I may try that. I got some of my own cut and in but not all of them. I only have the one plant and it is the white/green Anna Belle. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a wet and cool summer and the rain worked wonders on plants around the area, this, following a two-year drought. Now suddenly it's hot outside! Go figure. But I love all the blossoms that linger and happy to have a few days of summer left to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looove your white lime green blossoms, I hope you're able to dry them out...I've never really known what the true secret is to that, sometimes I'm able too, and other times they just wilt. What a summer we've had, but that storm the other night was spectacular! I was out in a portable at school, when we had the first round of thunder, and then the rains came...some of our kiddos were afraid, but calmed down quickly, we all got soaked leaving, but in a way it was one of those caught off guard fun times, when we could kind of laugh at each other! I know for fact, I could never live in the south with their humidity, the last few days about did me in! I hope you're healing, and feeling great! Big hugs, Debbie, the one from the other side of the Emerald City!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, there are benefits to those coastal storms we get!! These blossoms are beautiful Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely flowers!!!!! We have a few flowers out in the yard. We have had so much rain and storms this summer. Way more than usual. Our grass has been green all summer which usually doesn't happen as generally the months of july and much of august it is brown but not this year. I hope you are having a good day. i am so far! I hope your recovery is going well and that you are feeling much better!!!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hydrangea has done great this summer. We had lots of rain early on and even though it's been a bit dry lately, it's still producing some nice blue blooms. I hope they dry nicely for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos. I 'specially like the green one. My lone hydrangea suffered much from lack of water this summer, but I hope this fall she gets those much deserved showers she longs for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you had so much trouble with this storm. We sure have had our share of storms these past two weeks. I have lost all my potted plants because I just had no idea how bad these storms were going to be.
    My hydrangeas are small so they held their own. I just hope they make it through our bad winters.
    I appreciate you coming by and leaving me comments about my brother and son. We are all hanging in there.
    Hope you are having a good week.
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...