"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, August 4, 2013

how does she do it...


...last week my mother-in-law stopped by with a birthday gift and a pie, of course, for my hubby's birthday.  She also brought these gladioli from her garden.



they are simply magnificent.  So perfect that they don't look real.  It appears more a painting than anything else.


I think she has two green thumbs, and eight green fingers!  Her gardens are incredible and
there is nothing that doesn't grow and thrive in them.  From raised herb gardens to old tires stacked high with potatoes,  from hand-made trellis heavy with tomatoes, green beans, and peppers.   Squash, lettuce(s), fave beans, onions and garlic.  Berry bushes exploding with blueberries and huckleberries.  Strawberries and rhubarb.   Most things grown from seed during the winter months.  It's a regular Farmer's Market over there.



And the flowers,  OMGoodness the flowers!  Roses, roses, roses--there must be fifty different varieties.  Peonies, geraniums, sweet peas, petunias, and more all cascading down from planters made from re- purposed wood.  Last year they even had sunflowers that grew two stories tall.  I'll have to find the picture of Miss M standing next to the sunflower.  It is reminiscent of Jack and the Beanstalk!


So, how does she do it???  I can't grow anything that I would want to show off.  I plant in good soil, water, fert and sunshine (which I don't control), I give my plants everything they could ever need but obviously am missing something, besides green thumbs.  Hubs didn't inherit them either.  I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the bounty~~~for now.

Have a good week friends.  I get my stitches out tomorrow YAY, then I get casted for my new prosthesis WOOHOO, then...then...then, I get to toe touch 10% YIPEE.  Life is good~~~just look around and you can find something, one thing to be grateful for.

5 comments:

  1. I'll be thinking of you sweetie! Your photos of these glads are GORGEOUS!!!!! What an amazing color they are. Your MIL's garden sounds so beautiful and how I wish I had as good of luck at raising vegetables.
    Good luck tomorrow Jojo!
    love ya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Joanne. ♥
    I don't have green thumbs either. One of my brothers has them. ;-)
    Lovely flowers indeed!
    *hugs* Hope you heal quickly. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a green thumb either. I can kill a plant just by looking at it. I am so glad that you are enjoying the bounty! I can't wait to hear that you are touching toes!!!! I am so excited about your new leg. (can't spell the proper word, sorry!) Yeah for stitches coming out tomorrow for you!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful glads with such vibrant color! I have a friend that always grows a bountiful harvest too...it is fun to see it and all the enthusiasm she has too. Your MIL sounds like her twin! Oh dear, so glad you are on the mend, I need to catch up with you more often! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those glads DO look like a painting, but then, I think that most flowers do!
    Glad to find you on Jim's blog! I love your quotes that you have on here! (Lucy Maud Montgomery, I love her.)
    Take care and accenuate the positive, always! (Would love to say I made that up, but you know it is from a song!)

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...