"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, May 2, 2013

everything I do, I do it for you...

...it occurs to me, as I watch my lovely grandgirl run around the house in her fairy wings, pearls and baseball cap on backwards, that there really is a reason.  A reason and a time for all things.   Watching her made me realize why I'm here, on this blog, in this place and time.   It's for her.   It's all for her and her brand new cousin.  I do it for them.

I never knew my grandparents.  After we left New York (I was three) I only saw them 2-3 more times.  I wasn't at an age where I wanted to know about their lives, what made their hearts sing or their tempers rise.  What was it like to be a child with dirt floors and horse drawn carriages.  How did they survive the depression with so many mouths to feed.  What did they think of air travel and mission to Mars.  Mostly though, what was everyday life like for them.  Money, health, no t.v., no radio, celebrations, babies. And how in the world did my grandmother get from Minnesota (the state of her birth) to Vermont where she met and married my grandfather ten years her junior?  It was 1890...did she go by horseback?

I know my grandfather died at age 39 from an infected wound because they didn't have the five dollars needed for doctor and medicine.  When I reached the age of 39 I remember thinking how he was cheated in life...four children and a wife left behind.  It's not an unusual story for that time but it is part of my story and my grandchildren may one day want to know about it.  And one day they may ask, who/where did this red hair come from and they will know it was their great-great-great grandma. Me, yeah I'm the red-head in a sea of brunettes.

So plod on I will, most of it will make no sense or is that nonsense?  But I will do it because when my grandgirl and grandboy say who/what/how/where did we come from they will have answers.  Any maybe, just maybe I will find out more about myself then I ever thought possible.

Happy May, Happy Spring, Happy happy.

6 comments:

  1. There are a lot of things I wish I'd had the sense to ask about, too.
    Great post and wonderful story.
    Have a blessed weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our blog journals are amazing gifts that we are creating. They tell so much about our daily lives and that, to me, is real History--the best stories of all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanne, thanks so much for stopping by my little blog and saying hi..I was lucky to have my paternal grandparents until I was in my 30's, but I know very little about my maternal grandparents one who passed when my mom was 18 and the other when I was a toddler so I have no recollections of them..they are a missing link in my life. Might be a good idea to journal for your grands so they will get to know you as they get older! Have a great day! Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you will have as much info for the grand children as possible! I love to read your blog! I hope you are having a good day!


    heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is so important to pass down the stories and traditions of our families. We grandparents hold so many keys for our grandchildren. My mother was in a way, a difficult person to have for a mom. But one thing she always did was to tell me stories of 'back when'. I am so grateful for that. Your stories are important. Be sure to tell them over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forward Ho, Joanne!

    You are right, something amazing just may pop up!

    Red hair ~~~ I read that all redheads are related/connected..Check it out on the internet

    Ron

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...