"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, March 21, 2013

the long journey...

...the room is dark
as I lay silent and still 
trying to invite the sandman
to my tired, aching body.

Across the room
in the dressing area/closet
I can hear my husband
as he readies
himself for the days work.

He is desperately 
trying to be quiet
just in case I am asleep.
but
what I hear are the 
sounds of a stranger,
of someone who is fading away from me.

This is not the husband
of my youth
the one I hung my hopes and
dreams
for the future on.
My shining star.

But without a doubt
he is still the man I love,
more so now than at
any other time.
He's the one fighting
the stranger in our lives
he is the one
who now must take his turn
on the roller coaster.

buttons that won't button
shoes that won't tie
toothbrushes that won't
work the way they should.

glasses, mugs and
milk bottles crashing to the floor
and feet that
don't want to lift off the ground.

as I slowly
return to bed and settle in again
with the giant dog 
to keep me warm
my mind continues it's journey
into what will be
and my body aches for rest,
my heart
remains devoted to the
man of my youth
my first love,
my shining star.

14 comments:

  1. Oh- Joanne. It sounds like the same thing my dad went through. My heart aches for him AND for you. I think it is as hard to watch as it is to endure it sometimes. God bless you- if you ever need to vent I am only an email away-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sweet <3. I so appreciate my sweet card Jojo. It made me so happy. thanks so much dear friend. ILY

    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Joanne,

    Such a moving and powerful piece, I hope you are OK?

    Best wishes,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and loving piece-your both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel all of your emotion in this piece...the sadness, the fear of the future, sense of loss, frustration; and most of all your commitment to your love and your vow that said 'in sickness and in health.' Sending blessings to you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love....it's meaning, and feelings, and our perception of it, has been written by poets throughout time. Your poem has shown it's true meaning. Thank you for sharing such a tender time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm saying a little prayer for you both, I'm praying he will snap out of it with the glorious sun reaching out to him, warming him, loading him full of the vitamin D,(the sunshine vitamin) we are so lacking here in the PNW! Make sure his Dr. checks this, he may need a vitamin D supplement! Big hugs, Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joanne...
    well, you know how I'm coping and feel about this strange life we've all of a sudden been launched into! Thank you for your kind words on my blog.. and as you can see, I read here too - and CHERISH what you've written. it is NOT the misery loves company thing - more like knowing that the star shining way over there in your neck of the woods also shines the exact same way for me in a completely different setting. You are thought of... and more! Shari (Abundant Picnic)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written!
    Prayers and best wishes to you both.
    ~Fatima

    ReplyDelete
  11. This love you both have will get you through. There is nothing stronger or fulfilling. All the best Joanne from two that have had similar times.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...