"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Thursday, January 3, 2013

my Epiphany...

...on Sunday it will officially be Epiphany.  If you are a former Catholic school girl then you might remember Epiphany as the day the three wise men, the Magi, appeared to the baby Jesus.  In our house it is the tradition of taking down the Christmas decorations, including the tree.  As one of our family traditions we have a special ornament, a baby bird in a nest, that always goes on the tree first and always comes off the tree last.  A story that was brought forth from our young son many years ago and a tradition that has stayed with us since.  Nothing happens without that little bird.

The past three years have brought a change to our regular New Years tradition of making resolutions.  I would always write them on the next years calendar at the end of December so we could look back and see how we did.  When our children were younger these were quite funny and often, seeing the world through their little eyes, quite simple and obtainable.  Those years have gone too quickly and I am thrilled to be able to look back with them now and remember them.  The last three years have, for me, been changed to reflect a "word," one word.  A word to help guide me, teach me, change me and maybe even change another in a good way.  Always my goal is to be changing myself for the better and hopefully to touch someone else's heart in a kind and generous way.

Last year I had an easy time choosing a word.  I had a different one chosen when suddenly a tragedy in our area touched me so. so much that the word "listen" became my word of words.  If you read my last post then you know that word has served me well and has taught me much.  This year I had so many possibilities that I had to make a list. I had narrowed it down to four, one of them being on last years list, but was still unsure.  They all have great  meaning to me and as I look around the blogosphere I see that these same words have touched many hearts already.  Then one day last week, while making the rounds and going from here to there as you do when making the rounds, and ending up who knows where, there it was.  The word for me.  I'm sure it will be a good one with many opportunities and possibilities.

Nourish
 nourish my soul
  nourish my spirit
  nourish my relationships
  nourish



nour·ish

[nur-ish, nuhr-] 
verb (used with object)
1.
to sustain with food or nutriment; supply with what is necessary for life, health, and growth.
2.
to cherish, foster, keep alive, etc.
3.
to strengthen, build up, or promote
if you are a word-chooser, have you chosen it yet?  If you make resolutions, have you done so?  What ever you decide to do or not to do enjoy your new year, your clean slate.  Take the chalk of your life and draw on the slate, write in big letters, make new promises to yourself.  I'm going to take a few new risks this year and can't wait to share them, hopefully one day Maude and H will want to read them!

19 comments:

  1. I am sure you came to see me tonight to draw me right back to your place.

    NOURISH...

    I just want to tell you how much I needed your kind words. They nourished my soul and have helped to plant my feet on solid ground.

    You are valued and loved.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful word for the coming year. Already the applications are pouring into my brain, so it will be exciting to see how the word "nourishes" your soul, your thoughts, and the events that will reveal themselves throughout the coming year. Happy New year !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have chosen a good word. Picking a word for the year is a great idea. I need to think of one for me. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know it is a good word when it covers all aspects of your life. Nourish. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you picked that word. last year you inspired me to pick a word to work on. I am not sure exactly what that will be this year, but it will be one. I hope this is a good and nourishing word for you.


    heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honey whatever word you would have chosen I am positive you would lived up to it well this New Year.
    I do think nourish will be prefect for you.
    Happy New Year

    Love

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do the nest thing, too, Joanne. I love the tradition of it. I really like the word nourish. I have never done the word thing before- had never even thought about it until blogging. I think I will do it this year but haven't chosen a word yet- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

  8. Have a blessed weekend, Joanne. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent choice--and nice to know the back story on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joanne! What a good way to approach a new year with a positive 'twist'. Since I have been 'following' your blog I have been encouraged and inspired by your 'evolution' and willingness to learn and 'grow'.
    All the best this year and beyond.
    Does a 'former Catholic school boy' count? lol Yes I do remember the Epiphany very well and it's symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not been on Blogger for a LONG time, but today was the day I returned. I am so glad I did! I have always loved your blog, and have missed checking in. THAT is going to change! Thanks for reminding me of the "word of the year"! I love yours...NOURISH. When I think of the many ways you have nourished me, your word is already at work! THANKS!!

    I finally have posted something since November. You will laugh if you read it, as I am deciding to take a "technology break" and I am hoping that the break will "nourish" me, so that I am doing more things for others. It will be a sure test of my will power, as I am totally addicted to technology, and need to give myself a break! It will be very difficult for me, but I need it! I will chat after I return. Until then, thanks for all you have done to "nourish" me already, my friend!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great word...must have been inpspired just for you. OUt of all the words I have seen people choose (and it is always fun to see) NOURISH has never been one of them
    but wow...the possibilities behind this powerful word.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You chose a great word. We should all nourish ourselves. I don't make New Year resolutions, but this year I did chose a word. Health! I'm going to try to become healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nourish - what a wonderful word! I love that you put your word on your calendar and can only imagine how fun your kids resolutions were when they were little. What a fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love,your choice of words . I have a few rolling around my head, but I'm waiting for a confirmation. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect word! And, I love your idea!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...