"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

In the valley...

...where I live we have experienced, in the last twelve days, freezing fog.  It is the strangest weather I've seen in a long time.  Temps in the  20's, thick, dense, dark fog.  Night is day and day is night.  I have little concept of time as there is such a small change in the amount of light during the day.  It is better than constant rain but I am not a fan of ice.

Sunday last I ventured out of the darkness and into the land of the brighter cloudy skies to visit my daughter and muush on my grandson.   He is a gorgeous boy, with blue eyes (don't all babies have blue eyes?), and reddish brown hair (yeah for redheads!), and his grandma's and mamma's temper(ment).  That boy can pitch a fit like nothing I've ever seen.  He does not want to be diapered or have them changed, he does not want to be on his back or side, swaddled or cuddled.  And except for eating ,which he seems to do every 1-2 hours, he seems to be fussing. or screaming.  Poor mama is at her wits end.  My hubby and I took turns rocking the little one so mom and dad could take turns taking a nap.  I think little Henry has his days and nights mixed up and gets himself so worked up and overtired that he has a hard time settling down.  Good thing he has a appointment this week for his first check  up because I know that his parents need some reassurance and not the kind they would get from their mothers.   

I did learn or relearn a few things while I was there though;

yes, even at my advanced age, I can stay up all night, all day, and all night again without sleep.  Of course that means I slept until noonish today.

rocking a newborn is the best therapy for anything that ails you both mental and physical.  I do believe I found a way to make time stand still....for a little while at least.

Henry is in charge.

being a parent was the best thing I ever did but being a grandparent, which I had no control over, is by far the most incredible experience of my life, and I can't wait to show him off to you.  And for Ness and those who have asked;  his full name is Henry Carrick, Henry being my father's name and also the name of the daddy's grandfather.  Carrick is a Gaelic name meaning strong, also meaning "Craig," which is the daddy's name.  He also has his mother/father last names as my daughter kept her maiden name when she married.  He weighed in at 8lbs 9oz, and is 19.5 inches long.  And an Irish/French/Welsh/Danish almost redhead!   

13 comments:

  1. Good morning Joanne!
    Your Seattle weather does sound interesting alright....must be great to photograph during the 'day'.
    Your grandson by the sounds of things has a lot of Irish in him! Oh those Irish can surely get their point across when they are not happy!! No offence to any Irish people out there.
    My siblings who are grandparents feel exactly as you do about their grandkids.....a whole different ballgame which they brings a glow to their faces. Must be a wonderful feeling for you .
    Thanks for stopping by this morning, always good to hear from you.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this weather weird? We haven't had as much freezing fog as you have, but for the same time period have had freezing temps every night and icy roads every morning. I'm ready for our rain to come back!

    Sure hope they discover what's distressing poor little Henry and get his parents some peace. Poor little guy.

    Grandkids are the absolute best thing ever! We have a handful of the little people now and they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info on Henry. Love the name. 10 pound baby indeed---NOT! Nothing better that holding and rocking a miracle. Michael was 8-4 at birth and wanted to eat every 2 hours. I was working so I started putting a LITTLE baby rice cereal in his bedtime bottle and he slept through the night. The rules have changed over 28 years no doubt, but sometimes you have to do what the baby needs and my son was hungry and waking up every 1-2 hours to scream did not do him any good. Are there pics of this little guy available for viewing? Tried to call yesterday..guess you were sleeping or with Henry. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how special he sounds-hopefully things calm down a little bit for his mommy and daddy. I think your right that the doc might make them feel more comfortable.
    What a blessing for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, bless his sweet little heart! Congrats to you and to your daughter. I like the name, it has character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this post!!! There is nothing quite like a newborn agreed. And having been a reddish haired Danish baby myself you are in for it!!LOL. How delightful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember ice fog when we lived in Alaska. Definitely interesting.
    Congratulations on the grandbaby! Hope your daughter and son-in-law can get some ideas on how to manage your grandson.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the new baby and I do feel for his parents. My #2 son was a very fussy, colicky baby. However, he turned out to be the most even tempered of my kiddos when he got older! Your weather sounds very interesting....ours is just very cold! It's going t warm up tomorrow..they say it should be about 19de...brrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I had a fussy one like that. I remember falling asleep while walking her up and down the hallway...when I bounced off the walls I woke up. It's very good that you can provide some backup for mommy and daddy! Your new boy sounds like a pretty one, despite his temperament! I've resorted to praying about the ice. I don't like walking my doggy on slick pavement. I fell once this year and that's enough for me. Happy to say it's rainin' in Lynden tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that name!!!!! Poor little guy, that has to be tough on everyone. When I was born, I had my night and day mixed up (Mom told me). She also said I cried a lot, mainly because I had problems with my tummy. Mom said my food didn't digest probably. When I was in the hospital in 2008, Mom got the validation she deserved about the tummy issue. Yes, at 40 years old, the doctor told mom that she was right all that time. My tummy doesn't digest probably, explaining the many, many, many, many days and nights with major tummy issues. Mom also said that I was never a morning person even when she tried to straighten out my nights and days. I am glad that you are enjoying the new little addition!

    Our weather has been super cold. For once I am right, it is almost negative 20 below 0 with the wind chill factored in. I hope you weather warms up and you have some sunshine!


    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Henry sounds adorably handsome, I can hardly wait to see pictures. I hope he starts sleeping a little more between his feedings, there's nothing like a really good night of sleep for a new Mama(and Daddy)! I'm sure they totally appreciated you, and Grandpa rocking that sweet baby, giving them that much needed break! Big hugs, Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh- I can see that Henry has your heart and you have been transformed. Your heart no longer belongs to you! There is nothing in the world like the love you feel for a grandchild- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those little red-heads. I hope Henry soon finds that this world isn't so bad after all with grandmas to rock him and parents to dote upon him. Enjoy that little one. And remember that spring comes after winter and it can't stay cold forever (I hope)!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...