"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, December 30, 2012

simple pleasures, lasting treasures...


as we all count down the last remaining hours of 2012 many of us will be looking ahead with anticipation that a new year offers us a new beginning.  Out with the old...and so we begin again with the new. New Year, new diet, new resolutions, wipe the slate clean so to say.  For some of us there will be unfinished business to take care of.  The turmoil, the bumps and bruises of 2012 still fresh in our minds. For others the fresh, clean newness awaits us, filling us with hope and healing.



 for me, it always seems to be a little of both.  Exhaling deeply, knowing that I kicked another year in the pants...made it through, but always fearful of what lies ahead.   Learning to live in the moment has been a difficult lesson for me this year.  Learning to listen (my word for 2012) not only to my heart but to those around me.  To listen to their hearts has deeply changed me.  Listen to the world that surrounds me and how I react and live in this place we call Earth.  Trying harder to listen to what she is saying to us all, and trying to make changes to help her survive, to help all of us survive and thrive.  Listening to my inner compass.

As I snapped these photos of the paper whites blooming in my kitchen I couldn't help but think that in just mere moments Spring will be gracing us with her glory.   Mere moments that pass in the whisper of a baby's breath.
Wishing you the strength to put this year in the past, with all it's memories and mistakes, and to move forward with courage and hope for a joy filled, peaceful, healthy, grateful, happy new year. 

The greatest lesson that 2012 has taught me is that love is a choice, as is peace, joy, forgiveness and happyness. We have the choice to look for something to be thankful for during every storm, during every day of our lives.  We have the choice to listen.

Happy New Year All

15 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Joanne. You are so right- Love is a choice and sometimes it is harder to choose to love than it is to walk away. Blessings to you in the upcoming year- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are heading into 2013 with a great attitude and a full heart. Good luck in all you do this coming year and only remember the good from the last year...Happy New Year Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The greatest lesson that 2012 has taught me is that love is a choice, as is peace, joy, forgiveness and happyness. We have the choice to look for something to be thankful for during every storm, during every day of our lives. We have the choice to listen.

    Your last paragraph says it all for me. I'm going to copy and tape it to my monitor.

    Big big squeezy new year hugs, Marla

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way this year disappeared, it will definitely be mere moments!

    Thank you, Joanne. A Blessed New year to you all, too! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope 2013 brings much joy to you. I hope it will be a healthier year for you too. Don't forget to open the front door at midnight to let the new year in and open the back door to let the old year out.

    heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year sweet Joanne! I hope that 2013 brings you all wonderful things. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmmmy. I so want to force some bulbs one of these days... the plan always gets lost in the chaos of Christmas preparation...

    Wishing you a fabulous New Year as we start afresh...

    xo
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Joanne,
    Wise and beautiful words, thank you. Wishing you and your family a very wonderful 2013...
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always so quick to love, and sometimes because of that, I've been caught off guard a bit, but it's still the easiest for me...This last year for me has been a toughy, I seem to be having a harder time in the aftermath, than during the storm itself. I guess knowing what I do, has brought on a whole new set of fears...But this I know, life is too short to live in fear everyday. So, I'm learning to be happy with the one thing that is right in front of me...FAMILY!!! I want only the best for everyone! So my friend, if I seem to be vague, or missing in action, know that I think of you often, and hope everything in your family is going good, I'm taking one day at a time, and hoping this New Year is going to be a brighter place for all of us...Bless YOU, and your family! Big hugs, Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear you Joanne! And I have been listening too. Here's to a new year that will propose a few challenges for us all and also some insights into the love and happiness that is all around us to help us get through those challenges.
    Joanne, I wish you the best and look forward to your beautiful and insightful posts.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. We learn as we go, from mistakes and successes, but we do learn and improve. I love fresh starts and welcome the chance to "get it right" this new year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well said... the choices are OURS... I chose to forgive something long overdue, and it's opened up a whole new world to me. I am also trying to slow down and really listen... to others... to Mother Earth... and to that still small voice inside of me. Thank you for this lovely New Year post...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wise words gained from hard lessons I'm sure. I'm still learning to listen and trying to stay in the moment. Happy New Year and many, many blessings to you this year. Yes, as you suggested, at least once this year we MUST get together over coffee or tea!
    Love,
    Debora

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very belated Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...