"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, December 9, 2012

a thrifty trek...



into the local thrift store
scored
a few little
treasures.


I have been
looking
for a basket
like the one
above
with a tight weave
and a little
hinged top.
(photos not in order)
good for
all season, but still
is sporting
it's
basic Fall look.


a pretty
ironstone platter,
third in my
collection.


a little beaded wreath
to hang
above a
mirror.


and a
beaded
candle holder.



last summer we did a make-over of our fireplace.  Painting the firebox a flat black (no more brass) and then changing our mantle to a white lacquer.  We also hung a very large, very heavy, very thrifty mirror atop the fireplace which used to be bright red.

Now we've got the Christmas boxes down so I can hang my stockings, put a little green around that we picked up yesterday and get the tree up....THEN I will be ready, maybe.  Also have my paper whites planted but no Amaryllis yet.  I haven't been able to find any that are not red or pink and I wanted something different this year.  Do you grow bulbs indoors during the winter?

Have a nice week, and if you run into the Grinch it's probably me in disguise!

Happy Hanukkah to my friends of faith, to my daughter-in-law and my lovely Maude.

12 comments:

  1. Obviously I'm going to the wrong thrift store. Those treasures are wonderful! Love that ironstone platter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good finds, love the platter also. I plant indoor miniature daffodils but they went in late, so they maybe more for New years than Christmas! (they perfume the whole house too!).
    Have a fun week
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful finds!
    Have a blessed week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I think your thrift store finds are great. I love it when I SCORE at those places with good stuff.
    I have a barb wire wreath...Yup, was walking around the field in the fall, and found all wound up a bunch of barb wire. I thought HEY, a wreath.
    kinda funny I thought

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never find things that nice! Looks wonderful, love the platter. We finally got the tree up and now I just need to get it in gear and finish the shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new finds! We have a very nice thrift store here near my house. It is called Rescued Treasures. My dining room table is from there. I really like it.


    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I want to visit YOUR thrift store. I never find anything like those at any of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always find the BEST stuff...one day I will come up there and we will thrift store together. Keeping your daughter and her baby in my prayers as well as for the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joanne, you have such a good eye for things! If we went thrifting together we would be bouncing off each other!! lol
    Really like that basket too. Hope your week is going well and I didn't bump into any Grinches on my shopping travels today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love the basket...

    I'm still trying to get my Christmas act together here!

    You could never be a Grinch ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joanne, I am new to your blog, just looking at your 'about me' section, we have a lot in common! Love your new treasures, especially the white platter, stunning!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey dear friend! I have missed you! I was happy to come over and see that you have found some great treasures for your home! Oh am I ever needing a little treasure hunt of my own (I just don't know where I would put it once I found it:)but just the experience would be great!

    I want you to know that I am grateful for you and wish you a wonderful Season of JOY!
    much love to you!!!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...