"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Proclamation...



 while we are all busy basting our turkey, baking pies, and gathering around the dinner table we should take more than just a few moments to remember why we are here, on this day, to give thanks.  As I was looking around for some interesting facts about Thanksgiving I kept coming back to the one that I first saw a few years ago. 


The Pilgrims made
seven times more graves than houses.
no Americans have ever been
more impoverished than these who,
nevertheless,
set aside a day of
Thanksgiving.

H.U. Westermayer

can you imagine?  If they were able to set aside a day of thanks under those conditions then I can certainly set aside a moment of each day to reflect on my blessings and give thanks.   My heart is so full and the tears come easily as I thank each and every one of you for the support, concern, compassion and friendship that you have given me.  I truly am blessed to have found so many wonderful hearts through this crazy blog world.  To say 'thank you' is never enough.  May you be blessed with His mercy and touched by His grace, and may you enjoy the blessings of your family and friends and remember those who are passed.   


Happy Thanksgiving....be well, be safe, be grateful...every day you have a choice.




in part;

No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy.
It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently, and gratefully acknowledged, as with one heart and one voice, by the whole American people. I do therefore invite my fellow-citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a day of thanksgiving and praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners, or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the imposition of the Almighty hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it, as soon as may be consistent with the divine purpose, to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility [sic], and union.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.
Done at the city of Washington, this 3d day of October, A. D. 1863, and of the Independence of the United States the eighty-eighth.

15 comments:

  1. So well said & written. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is horrifyingly amazing....7 times more graves than houses- What a great post- Happy Thanksgiving to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Beautiful-Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your Thanksgiving is awesome and happy for you!

    heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last week we had a very sad surgical case. I came away from that case just being so thankful for my life and I told my co-workers.."please, I don't want to hear anyone saying "I'm having a bad day" today." We should be grateful for all our blessings each and every day. Great post and reminder and I hope your day brings some peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fine example, Old Abe. Most of us here, in America, really do have a lot to be thankful for.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *hugs* and thank you.
    God bless all of you, too, Joanne. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. A time to reflect for sure. I'm trying to be mindful of others less fortunate. It's humbling, reminding me of how truly blessed I am...I have so much to be thankful for.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Big hugs, Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sweet friend only you could write such a beautiful post for Thanksgiving. Could not let this holiday go by without coming by and wishing you and yours a Very Happy Thanksgiving.
    We all are so Blessed to have found you as a friend out here in this amazing world of blogging.
    Leaving here in about a half hour for Austin.
    Enjoy your day and know I love you
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is truly one of the differences between Americans and Canadians.....we never learned or were never shown about taking pride in and for our country, like you Americans do. It is very uplifting to see and read this. It makes your country Joanne very unique.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing for you sweet Joanne and Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving. I am so thankful to have you as a blog friend. Your post is beautiful and wonderful. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you and your family a wonderful, peaceful and loving Holiday Season. What a wonderful time of the year. Enjoy the good food and good memories.

    Hugs for my friend JoJo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you and your family a happy Thanksgiving today...
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this. Sending lots of hugs and love to you. Will talk to you on Tuesday when DH goes back to work.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...