"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, October 14, 2012

THE promised land?...

...yesterday the hubs and I had an errand to run.  Not a particularly important errand, that is unless you want to say..watch the tele and/or be able to change the channels then this becomes more important as days go by and baseball winds down.  In other words...our remote was toast and we needed a new one.

The closest cable store was about 20miles away in a city that we had once lived but had not visited in twenty five years, usually preferring to pass by it on the freeway.  It was a pleasant enough drive although we were getting our three inches of rain for the day (I knew we would pay for that beautiful summer!).  Traffic was quite heavy but not obnoxiously so, if you've ever driven here you know what I mean. Well, once again long story short, we got lost.

As we pulled into a parking lot to check my directions I noticed a string of stores in front of us.  Rubbing my  eyes I looked again, in wonder.  There in front of me was a TJMaxx, Home Goods, Tuesday Morning and Trader Joe's.  To my right, some sort of restaurant and a Goodwill, and to the left a Starbucks.  I barely let the hubby stop the car before I was out the door like a flash and singing and twirling in the rain.  I had not been to any of these stores, EVER.  (except for GW and SB)  I had never seen these stores, EVER.  But I sure have heard about them and especially read about them on other blogs.

I visited each and every one of them, slowly perusing the isles and dreaming of the day I could spend more than the $14 in my wallet.  If we were to get coffee then that would bring my budget down to about $7 but I was determined.  I first went into Trader Joe's to get some snacking items so I would not have a low blood sugar incident in any of the other stores, all geared up I headed to Home Goods first.  Not bad at all.  Most of the housewares items were well priced and if you came across a clearance isle then you hit pay dirt baby.  But the furniture, lamps, rugs, are all an iffy thing to me so I'm not sure if it was a great bargain or not.  Then we, yup he came with me, headed over to Tuesday Morning.  Gah, ick, skip it is about all I can say.  I could have found better quality and selection over at the GW.  Next we headed down to TJ Maxx feeling a little dejected and rather tired from the large amount of largeness that we had to navigate throughout the day.  I was so pleasantly surprised.  I could breathe, let out the air I had been holding waiting for disappointment.  It was a cute (?) store, clean and well stocked, and the prices were reasonable.  I was mostly looking in housewares, baby clothes and home accessories so I can't really vouch for their clothing department but I did spend my $7 on my grandson and left there happy.

We did finally find the cable store just in time before they closed for the day, had something to eat, and thought about driving past our old house.  We didn't.  I don't want to see it thirty years later, I'd rather keep my memories of that house as it is the one we lived in when we had our babies.  Too special a memory to sully with years gone by.  But there was a moment, though fleeting, if I wondered if I had found the promised land.

Have a good week friends.   Remember;  " any arbitrary turning along the way and I would be elsewhere.  I would be different."   under the tuscan sun

31 comments:

  1. You did well if you were only disappointed in one of the stores, glad you had the chance to visit them.

    As far as visiting your old home I understand, whenever we go back to the town we had lived before I avoid going by the old neighborhood for precisely the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our memories are just too precious to handle the reality of someone else living there and not taking care of things the way we used to. Thanks for stopping by, you obviously survived the dentist and the lab!

      Delete
    2. I understand this completely, our son actually lived across the street from the house we sold and while sitting on his porch I noticed the garage door propped up with a shovel handle, I about died right there because with a garage door opener why in the world are you using a shovel to hold the door up, I could never bear to walk across and look.

      Did well at both the dentist and on my blood work so I am pleased with this.

      Delete
  2. Yes, we are paying for the lovely summer & early autumn, but I am loving the rain I missed so much.

    Sounds like a fun day to me, checking out new stores and the GW, and coming away with just the right things for your budget. ( Grandchildren stuff :> )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine how wonderful the air smells at your place after the rains come..so earthy and rich.
      We should meet up at GW sometime and get a coffee too.

      Delete
  3. Too bad you were lost. Now, you'll never know how to get back. ;)

    Each time I go back for a visit to my homeland, I find disappointing things. As trivial as a roadside rest area sounds, they removed it to put in a large overpass outside of town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like change either...my memories are always much better!

      Delete
  4. Our rain hit also. I wasn't emotionally ready for the heaviness of the weather because my heart is heavy from losing our furry daughter on Wednesday.

    We also have that special house - ours in Southern California in a little town in the foothills of the San Bernardino mountains. All our memories are so sweet and so fun. As the girls grew up we hit life with gusto, full of love. It was our smallest home, no bells or whistles but it was cozy and welcoming. Our oldest went back last year while on a family vacation, knocked on the door and talked to a man that currently owns the home. Our girls handprints are still on the back patio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think of going back to my childhood home and knocking on the door but I'm always afraid that I would just break down when I realized that my mom or dad wasn't there.

      I'm so sorry about your furry baby. We lost ours a few months ago and I remember how quiet the house seemed after. take care.

      Delete
  5. You are so cute;) All of those stores are hit or miss for me, and if I stay out of them, I stay out of trouble;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rain? Wow, we'd like to have some of your inches! I think we had about 1/4" this past month. Things are a lot greener, though, so even a little helps.

    We went to Denver this past week. We drove by the house we grew up in, and, once again, marveled at how our mom and dad raised us 5 kids in such a small house, on a small lot, with lots of houses all around! We had such good times there!

    Sounds like you had a good time shopping. We made it to Sams! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there were six of us growing up and we lived in an 800 sq. ft. home with one bathroom. NEVER once did I feel like it was too crowded or that I was going without. My parents did such a good job of making our family feel like we were millionaires.

      Delete
  7. We have those stores in St. Louis, about 16 miles away, but not all conveniently in the same place. When I get there (I have to think positive) we will leave your beloved DH at home and have a girls looking/shopping day. What did you get your grandson? I started on your scarf. Do you think your grandson would appreciate a crochet baby blanket or is someone else already taking care of that? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got him a little sleeper with frogs on it and the little feet are froggy too! He/we/me would love a baby blankie...you are too sweet!

      Delete
  8. I am glad you had mostly a good time at the stores. We have a Tuesday Morning around here to and I have never really found anything worth while. I don't like to go by my old store so I understand about the house. The store is now a printing shop and we worked so hard to keep it that it breaks my heart to pass by.

    Enjoy the rain for the day!!!! it is cloudy and looks like we will get a bit of rain too.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      what type of store did your family own? I think that would be as hard as driving past the old house. I know you live in the house you grew up in but I can't even drive past our old family home, it would be too strange not to see my parents there working in the yard and such. have a good week!

      Delete
  9. I am glad you had fun in those stores. When you live in the country as I do, a trip to the "big city" can be fun. BUT I HATE THE TRAFFIC, and it reminds me why I love living where I do.
    And everytime I go home to Utah to see the kids, I LOVE LOVE visiting all the old stores I frequented when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wished I was a country girl, growing up on a farm. I'm sure I would wish otherwise if that had been my real life.

      Delete
  10. Yay for your fun day in new stores but a double yay for not going by your old home. My special home was our home in Bartlesville. We invested so much of ourselves into making it a home to grow old in, including a handicapped accessible bathroom, incredible flower gardens, a wonderful sunroom that we opened up off the kitchen/living room and a beautiful pond and stream in our front yard flanked by a globe willow and a corkscrew willow and wonderful shade plants accenting the whole place. I went by a couple of years ago (which would have been about 6 years after we left. The trees in the front were gone, it looked like no one kept up the pond and the shade plants were no longer in the shade and therefor kaput.

    I never told Carol about going by the old place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it would have killed me to see that other people were not taking care of the place I loved so much. Good thing you didn't tell her.

      Delete
  11. Good morning honey
    I can relate to this post in so many ways. Especially not wanting to see your home. I was in mine yesterday and it hurts to see it empty and not taken care of.
    I have to drive to Houston or Austin to visit any of these stores.
    Glad you made it home safely. We have had some hard rains for three days now...I of course keep looking outside and wondering how in the world will I get it all mowed again. hahah
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know, with the crazy weather this year, you might not get out there to mow again until spring..;j

      Delete
  12. Our lack of local stores in the area is one of the reasons I started shopping at GW. I would have had shopping overload seeing all those stores like that! I can so relate. Sounds like a fun day. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was fun, and now that I know where these stores are I might just have to plan another day of fun!

      Delete
  13. Hi Joanne, you can sure control yourself! Other than the Starbucks, which we frequent on a very regular basis, we don't have any of those other shops here.
    I am such an awful shopper...ask Ron....if I don't have a specific item in mind then I don't want to be there. I don't know what browsing is...I do but it makes me nervous!! lol
    Still raining in Seattle I see.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what fun is that! And yes, it's raining, but what else is new?

      Delete
  14. It sounds as if you couldn't have even planned a trip like that! I looove it when I just happen upon a place that brings me pure joy, (okay, so it doesn't take much these days to tickle me). But you know what I mean. I love that you blogged about this, now I know I'm not the only one just visiting some of these stores for the very first time!

    Quite a few years ago while visiting Bellingham, I did drive by my old house...the family was out working in the yard, even though tempting, I s*l*o*w*l*y kept on driving. Big hugs, Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know we had Home Goods in this state until I happened upon this one...my lucky day eh?

      Delete
  15. We just returned from a trip to Indiana where I discovered Home Goods, Hobby Lobby, Target, TJMaxx, and I thought I'd found Mecca! So many pretty things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a fun way to pass the time when you're lost. Remember, all who wander are not lost...LOL! I'm enjoying the rain. No more working outside for awhile.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...