"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, May 14, 2012

pinching pennies...


...usually, on pay-day or groccery shopping day,
(which are often the same day)
I will treat myself to some in-season flowers from the store floral section.
the past few weeks the choice has been tulips
or
tulips.



I don't usually gravitate to pink colours but on this particular day
it was the only choice.
Very pretty
but already getting rather droopy after only
a few days.
When what to my wondering ears did hear, from my hubs,
that if you toss a penny in the water
of any type of flower
it will cause them to perk up and bloom  longer.
In goes the penny
and the next day this is what I found.



the edges were saturated with colour,


they were dry, almost to the crisp stage,


they seemed perfectly preserved,



until I moved them and all the petals fell to the floor.   So much for that bit of advice.  (He had heard it earlier on an morning news-talk-radio show.)

Have you ever tried this?

10 comments:

  1. I have never tried that, but I just saw someone post about how it perked their flowers right up.

    I hope that you guys are having some great weather over there. We finally have some spring here in my part of Idaho, after a windy and cold two weeks. I am so ready for some warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this....but I can see it didn't work for you!;>) I hope they have something besides tulips next time you go- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had heard of it, but perhaps the penny needed to be put in sooner.
    Still, it did make them pretty. :o)

    *hugs* ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tulips and I think those started out very pretty..but maybe the penny should go in first thing? I've never heard of this but will ask around and see if anyone does it. Who knows, you may have started a trend! Nothing better than fresh flowers in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't put pennies in a vase, but I've buried them next to my hydrangea bushes...s'posed to make them blue-er. Something about the copper. Your posies are very pretty...love tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tulips! I am sorry they didn't last too long for you though. that is a bummer! I hope you are enjoying the week and had a good mother's day!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no...that is kinda funny, but NOT. I have NEVER heard of such a thing. Too bad it didn't work, or that could be a real help for keeping our flowers longer. My best friend around here always buys herself fresh flowers to take home after work on a Friday.
    flowers make me Smile.
    (maybe you should try a nickel..they may have thought you were being cheap, tee,hee)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just about too! I heard a little sugar may help.....but don't hold me to that one!
    Pretty tulips though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was about to try it until I read the whole post. I've heard sugar, aspirin, etc. but never tried anything. I don't buy fresh flowers often...maybe for a holiday dinner table? I'm in a slump right now...will try to write more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are super pretty! Never tried the trick!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...