"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

a dog's tale...

...it's been a rough (ruff?) few weeks here without my old gal but I realize that time is moving forward and so I must also move forward and consider whether or not to let another wonderful dog come into my life, own me, and take over my heart.

As I have never been more than a few weeks, in my adult life, without a dog this decision would seem all the easier to me but it has been immensely  difficult.  There are so many things to consider now...at this time of my life, our lives.  We have talked about moving to a smaller place in a few years, perhaps a condo or townhouse where the yards are not really conducive to pet living.  We hope to travel more, spend more time with the grandgirl, retire.  We do not have the energy for a puppy nor the patience for a highly energetic dog.  We are leery of an older/special needs dog as this incurs higher vet bills and that does not work into our budget.  We are not small dog people preferring at the very least a large sized medium dog. (?)

But then again I know that when my heart is ready and our 'new' dog makes her presence known to us then the decision will have already been made.

I admit I have been looking online at the area shelters and rescue centers recently.  Checking every few days or so always turning away with the feeling that the time is not right.  Then, last week, I saw her.  MY girl.
She is a sixty pound, fully trained, brown brindle Plott hound/Aussie mix.  About two years old.  Her fur is not as long as an Aussie but she does possess the quintessential Aussie blue eye.  She looks like a charmer.  I waited two days to tell the hubs as I was trying not to be too excited about her, but I kept checking everyday and she was still available.  I showed him last Thursday and he offered to drive up and see her the next day.  I filled out the online application with a promise to pay certain non-refundable fees if we were to take her into our home.  And I waited...

Next morning I got up and per my usual routine I check my e-mail.  There was one from the Kent animal shelter...the place where MY dog was being housed.  Kent Animal Shelter, river road, Kent, Washington, county of King...here's the e-mail...


"Thank you for filling out our online application. We see that you are from Washington. We are actually located in NY. There is another Kent animal shelter in WA that you are probably looking for. We do not do adoptions from that far away. Please let us know if you have any questions. "
Kent Animal Shelter

2259 River Rd. Calverton, NY 11933

Did you notice???  OH MY STINKIN' HECK...there is a Kent animal shelter on river road in king county NEW YORK.    who knew???

I'm not sure if I should be heartbroken or locked up somewhere. 
be well all, and remember joy...pass it around!

10 comments:

  1. Oh so sorry but I hope you don't feel ruff fo long. The right dog will find you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot! There is someone in Kent WA waiting for you. I'm sure of it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are ready to make the leap again..but just need to wait for that special dog to find you. Sorry it wasn't the one you saw but maybe one like it will be in your area. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a hard decision for sure...to dog, or Not to dog.
    WE LOVE our standard poodle....LOVE HER and she loves her run of the country here.
    BUT..........that being said, it does cause it's own set of problems when we want to travel etc.
    It's like finding someone to "look after your kid"
    But, once you commit......there is no going back.
    If you find her/him......you'll know

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just catching up on some blogs! I am so sorry about the loss of your sweet Gracelia! I know how hard it is to give our hearts again and again. I know when my Charlie is gone I will have to consider changes in my life before bringing another pet into it. Sending you a big hug my friend! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jojo! I am so sorry that the shelter is in the wrong state! I do hope you find another perfect for you dog! Sending lots of hugs to you!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh heartbroken is the way to go on this Jojo! I am so sorry! But THE dog is out there waiting.....don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darn...I'm hoping and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me with the blue eyes, I got goose bumps, and then when you found out it was in NY...omg, I thought Nnnnooooo...but I get, that you are good with the thought that you will just know when you see it, that it's (he or she) is 'THE ONE' for you! Big hugs, Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my dear jojo--I'm so sorry . I have been so "off the map" I had not been keeping up with blogs. I'm so sorry you lost Graciella! I know whatb it feels to lose a wonderful fur-child, and it hurts so much. I will be praying that you know when the right and where the right pet will be soon! Again, my heart goes out to you!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...