"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Give me five...



...it's been on my mind a lot.  Thanksgiving.  Did you know that the Pilgrims made seven times more graves than houses?  Even in the midst of their impoverished existence they still found the time to be grateful.  They still were able to set apart a day of thanks.

I admit I try to be grateful when things are going well.  It's easy to give thanks for the everyday luxuries that we take for granted...a home, food, a car, clothes, pets.  And of course we always say thanks for our family and friends.  But when times are difficult how often do we set aside a time to give thanks?  Not for the difficult times but for the gifts we have been given during those times, the ones that get us through, the simplest of joys.

I took a moment today to stop and think...actually dig down deep in my heart and give gratitude for the more unusual gifts in my life.

My parents;  even though they raised me during the turbulent 60's they still managed to teach me respect, for myself and others.  They taught me faith and gave me an exemplary example of what a good marriage should be.  I never told them how much I appreciated all they gave up for me, all they did for me.  They didn't have it easy and yet they instilled a sense of values and family to their children that lives on and on.  Thank you Pop and TT.

Waldorf salad and stuffed dates;  two of my favourite holiday dishes, handmade by my mother whose wretched arthritic hands could barely hold a knife.  It was truly a treat that was made with love and something I enjoy even now.  If I close my eyes I can picture her rolling those walnut stuffed dates in powdered sugar and laying them on a crystal dish.  I used to bring home the leftover salad and dates and eat them for breakfast the next day!

The secret stuffing recipe;  for years and years after my folks died I tried and tried to make the family stuffing recipe.  Year after year I failed.  I could not figure out what I was doing wrong.  It seems that my mother never wrote down the recipe but my brother was able to get it out of her, and he wisely wrote it down.  It seems the secret to her stuffing and my downfall was something as simple as poultry seasoning.  I've got it now!

Health;  even though I have a lack of it I am quite happy to have any at all.  Things are not easy with this disease and it's horrible complications but so far we have managed to get through it together.  When one person in the family has a disease the entire family has a disease and if we don't work together then it will be me against the world.  I am stable and for now that is more than I can expect or hope for.

Turner Movie Classics;  I'm a night owl.  Getting to bed before 3am is an early night for me.  That's probably why I enjoy naps so much!  And I love TMC...classic movies from the 40's are the best in my book and a great way to spend the late night sitting next to my hubby while he sleeps in front of the t.v...we don't have a television in our bedroom so we just sit up all night long with the classics!

So how about you...can you dig down deep in your heart and share an unusual blessing?

13 comments:

  1. I loved reading these thoughts on being thankful and we forget so often just how rich we are. Imagine...the magic of poultry season. It's always the small things that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing unusual. I just give thanks at being able to be at this point in my life.
    So many decisions were needed to put me here.

    Have a blessed Sunday. ♥ :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the "little helper" for my Mom and both Grandmothers as a kid. I'm grateful for the "voices" that sometimes guide me in the kitchen when I make the traditional family recipes. :)

    The odd thing I'm always grateful for is medical research. When I hear about new findings for the disease I live with (MS) or any of the worse diseases, it makes me smile. Mankind is still trying to help one another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you must have been reading my mind, as I was saving that for my last post before Thanksgiving! I, too, have some special thanks to give, but you will have to wait!

    You are so eloquent with your words and such an inspiration! I know this sounds so ordinary, but I am thankful for YOU and your words that help me keep things in perspective! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanne!

    I love TCM too! You have a wonderful gratitude list.
    Graciella is still beautiful too.... is she well? I am grateful to have known you three years now through blogging!I appreciate your ever-kind support and love.

    Let me know what color you receive... the color meditation process has helped Colette a lot and other cancer patients. Another step is to ask any part of you --body or spirit-- what color it needs to be better ...then wait you will hear feel or see a color.... pull that color down like light from heaven colored rays to cover the area you are working on.... laser the area with that colored light. It helps in emotional and physical wellbeing.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    love, kelee katillac

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have many things to be thankful for. First, that my mom was my mom. She was a rock to stand on and I did. She raised us 3 by herself when my father decided he didn't want to be a husband and a dad anymore. She worked super hard to take care of us and I know at the time I didn't appreciate all that she did. I did tell her when I grew up, but it still doesn't take away the fact that at the time I had no appreciation.

    I am thankful for my health, despite the lack of it because it could be worse.

    I am thankful for my friends because they help get me through anything.

    I am thankful for Jesus, for without him, all of us would be lost.


    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so thankful I come from a family of 9 kids! Can't imagine it any other way....and don't want to. Not always peaceful and quiet when I was growing up, but it taught me so much about patience, respect and generosity.
    Good post Jojo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thankful for the difference a year can make. Last year my shoulder injury was still very fresh and very painful. My daughter had just come out and there was a lot before us. I have so much to be thankful for I think I'll write a post! I'm thankful for you too honey and for all that you have perservered through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving Sweetie...
    Oh what a beautiful list of blessings you have. I loved reading it sweet friend. You are priceless.

    I am so thankful for my family, and my health. It has been a long road the last almost 2 years. I take nothing for granted. I am grateful for what voice I have left, and grateful to be able to feel the sunshine on my face.

    I am most grateful for wonderful friends like you, that remind me how wonderful life truly is. We have many blessings around us. You are one of them that has came into my life.

    Thank you so much for sharing. God Bless you and yours this holiday season. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! And poultry seasoning is the secret in mine, too. Along with homemade white cornbread made in an iron skillet and crumbled into the beautiful onion, celery and chicken broth simmering on my stove right now! Have a blessed time this week with your family here and there....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jojo, you write so beautifully and I especially loved how you described your gratitude for what your Mother did. It also sounded beautiful that she would display them on a crystal plate. I am so grateful that I still have my Mom, I guess that's why that part of your post brought tears to my eyes. So glad your brother discovered that secret ingredient. That was such a nice story. xo ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of these things are so lovely. We forget that there are things in our lives that are true gifts and even in our darkest moments we can reach out and find something to be thankful for, even if it's... poultry seasoning.
    Happy Thanksgiving Sweetie.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...