"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Monday, September 12, 2011

Aye, therein lies the rub...

...therein lies the rub, the catch, the thing that blocks our way, changes the game, the source of the problem. One of the most misquoted lines of Shakespeare.
 
from Hamlet
"Therein lies the rub
For in that sleep of death we know not what dreams may come...."

sorting out the problem, getting to the root of the object of my misery has had me tied in knots these past few days.

As you are well aware I took quite a tumble a few weeks ago and, along with bruising my pride and embarrassing myself to the core,  I fractured (ever so slightly) a few ribs.  Recovery has gone very well and it's not complete torture to try and sneeze or cough again.  But here comes that 'rub' part.  It would seem that I occurred some stress fractures in my foot as well.  Unbeknown  to me I have been walking these past few weeks on said fractures and have now developed a rather serious condition called Charcot Foot.






Charcot is a neurological disorder of the foot caused by a breakdown of joints, nerves and bone, that are due to neuropathy (loss of feeling), which I have from being diabetic forever.  The mid-section of the foot collapses changing the entire shape of the foot and leaving it at a high risk for ulcers and further fractures.  This is where I am at right now.

The treatment is no-weight-bearing for 4-6-8 weeks while the foot is in an acute stage.  If we can get the breakdown cycle to end and the healing cycle to begin during that time there is a greater chance of recovery.  If not...well, I'm here to tell you that I can not go to that place again for it is how I 'lost' my right foot fifteen years ago.

For now I am sitting, sitting, and sitting some more since crutches are out (can't use crutches when you have one broken foot and one prosthetic foot).  I do have a wheelchair to get around the house in or if need be to use when we go out.  I will need a ramp though if I expect to leave the house!  I also have this funky little scooter that you kneel on with your bad side and then push off on with the good side.  Again though, I have no good side!  This has become quite an interesting learning tool and the curve at this moment is quite low.






so y'all, there's the rub. 
     Charcot Foot

14 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, Jojo. I am so sorry to hear this. :(
    Is your diabetes well controlled? I pray that your foot will heal quickly for you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're almost between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully, today's technology will have you up on your foot in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Jojo! I am so sorry to hear this. I didn't know, or remember anyway, that you'd fallen. I hope you have a kind person who can build a ramp for you.

    You will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness woman! I didn't know you fell.

    I'm so sorry you are going through all this! Agree with Mike...a rock and a hard place. Sit. Sit. Sit. You must get yourself healed. Please!

    You'll be in my thoughts...sending speedy healing ones :)

    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jojo I do hope a ramp is in your future and plenty of healing too. You always have the most beautiful header pics on here. Take care sweet one, loved seeing you with that precious Maude. xo ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your foot gets better super fast for you!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good grief, you poor biker chick! I'm trying to find humor in this and that was the best I could come up with to make you laugh.

    Seriously, You poor baby I can't even imagine how this is impacting your life. Soooo, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. SIT your fanny down and heal, girlfriend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I was so angry at those peeps with your ribs and their lack of pain help. But now? I think I need to come out there and slap some docs around. And then I will take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is just the pits to not be able to get around! I am sorry for this latest setback. Please keep us informed and know that we are all thinking of healing thoughts for you! So glad you can at least be on your computer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh No...that sounds horrible.
    Certainly reminded me of my BIL, who also has diabetes, and I think is a breath's hair away from loosing a foot.
    such a terrible, difficult position to be in.
    I certainly hope you heal up soon and WELL

    and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jojo, another hurtle for you.....and one you can handle. Now, stay off that foot and let nature do it's magic.
    Stay strong and you will get through this.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK you got me! I have never heard of this! But I can certainly see how it could occur.

    love the little scooter, what about a rascal? can you get one of those for the next 8 weeks??

    good luck Jojo, I am keeping you in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness, I'm sorry about this Jojo! You're gonna have to mind the doctor and stay down for a bit. Do you have a Kindle or Nook? Maybe download a bunch of great books to read and catch up on the knitting. You could get a lot of Christmas gifts made in those weeks! I'll be praying for that foot.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...