"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

We all want to change the world...

...manners.  When I was growing up, way back when, manners were a very important part of our upbringing.  It was taught in school, there were books about it, articles in magazines and even a Miss Manners column in the newspaper.  A "Dear Abby" of the manners world where people would write in and ask questions about how to handle those rowdy relatives or what fork to use for each course.

In our home manners were as important, if not more than, as our religious beliefs.  Bad manners simply would not be tolerated...what would the neighbors think after all?  Besides the don't talk with your mouth full, and take your hat off in the house, and of course our p's  and q's I distinctly remember;  "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all."  In our home this seemed to be more of a do as I say not as I do exercise in futility.  My mother not being one to censor herself.

The last few days, indeed weeks, have been difficult ones over here.  I have been having problems with ongoing health issues and new health issues and to top it off, people in my life who would do well to learn some manners.  So, in my effort to not put any more ugliness into the world I am going to shuuush myself and try to remember/focus on these wise words.


12 comments:

  1. Sometimes I have to remind myself that a little Erma Bombreck helps when having to deal with such issues. It's not easy. Hope your health improves quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs* ♥
    I love your poster. Good thoughts all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jojo!!!

    I agree, manners are so important. Especially the if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all one. My extended family could certainly learn something about that!

    I hope you are having a good day!!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs to you. Gahs to those not named.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hearing you Jojo and we're here for you. I sometimes wonder if complete strangers seem to treat me better than some "others". I don't get it.

    I love this poster and want it on my fridge!!

    Hugs to you sweetie and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! I remember these too Jojo! And look, we turned out OK! I think they taught us respect for one another.
    Gandhi's 'fundamentals' are a good place to start for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree with you more. My family weren't religious; but it was still important that we use good manners. I was going to write that civility separates us from animals; but on second thought, my dog Koda is a lot more thoughtful than some people I know. Hang in there Jo-jo, we're thinking and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sweetie--I'm so sorry! We all need a good lesson in manners sometimes, butthen, we need parents to teach us by doing, too!I hope things are going to be okay with you. You still have the right to THINK what you wish--even if you don't think you can say it all. Just know--I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear J, I think about manners quite often, especially with the kiddos I work with. I think it would be a kinder world if we all remembered our manners and the golden rule, a little more often!Great post, sadly it sounds like it was written because of someone's thoughtlessness...ie.(lack of manners)! I do hope you start feeling better soon! My thoughts and prayers are with YOU! xo Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome poster - can't you just see that on a subway poster leaning on a wall somewhere (like my living room ;-)

    I did a post a few back about our present lack of manners. Things that were so integral in our lives when I was a child are just gone now. Basic manners are a thing of the past I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I frequently wonder what ever happened to the concept of love? Hope those around you quickly rediscover it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother instilled the value of manners also. I wouldn't go out with a guy the 2nd time if he didn't have table manners!

    I think people especially don't know or have good manners when it comes to doctors, receptionists etc. Times when you are not in your best form yourself- it would be so wonderful to have a sympathetic and caring smile even.

    Jojo- I am so there with your struggle and will be praying for you friend. I feel like such a wimp most of the time not being able to always "buck up" to the circumstances but there is no more strength to pull up those boot straps so I will have to leave it in Jesus hands and so want to be sweet spirited about it though I am so not that much of the time.

    I am so glad and thankful that HE loves and delights in us even on our worst days!

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...