"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Fragility...

...as I was putting this post together in my mind I couldn't decide if I wanted to use the title of 'fragility,' or 'frailty.'  After a quick look at the online dictionary I decided  on Fragility.  This is, after all, a post about life, love and loss.   

Fragility: easily broken or destroyed., delicacy of construction. frail.

How easily those definitions apply to our lives.




The day after Easter my hubs found a perfect, blue, robin's egg on top of a fence-post in our backyard.  I thought he was joking and assumed it was a Cadbury while expecting that he would pop it in his mouth and eat it.  As it turned out he hadn't touched it at all...just saw it on the fence-post and left it there.  How could it have possibly fallen from a nest, that we couldn't find, and land on the fence-post with such utter grace and precision to have not broken.



Several days later, after a windy rainy night, I noticed something laying on the driveway.  I was hesitant to go out and see what it was as it looked, to me, like a dead animal...perhaps a small possum.  After my horror with the possum a few years ago I decided to leave it there for the hubs...again.  When he came home he informed me that there was a bird's nest on the driveway and that it looked as if it had been dragged out of the tree.  There was no sign of the birds or the babies/eggs.



All of this was happening as the rest of the country and the world were dealing with tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunami, wildfires, and on and on.  I just couldn't help thinking of the fragility of life.  One moment we are living out lives and the next there is a swath of death and destruction.  Overwhelming on all accounts.



I brought the nest into the house, after spraying it with a sealer, and put the little egg in the nest as a reunion of sorts.  Every time I look at it I am reminded of the fragility of each and every moment...
stop for just a second today and remember how incredibly blessed we are in this time, this moment, this place.

Happy Monday friends..;j

17 comments:

  1. Oh, JoJo, how absolutely lovely. Yes, the fragility and frailty of our everyday lives can be shattered at any moment, and the echoes of that can live on sometimes for generations. We have to cherish the moment, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. This was a beautiful post.
    Fragility.... life is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, beautiful post. Our lives can change in a second and we should cherish and hold every minute that we are allowed to be in this life and as blessed as we are. No matter what comes our way we are still very blessed. I love this post. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful thoughts Jojo. Life is so fragile, we just never know. You are such a beautiful person, both inside and out.
    ILY

    God Bless~
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful way to put what I HAVE BEEN THINKING :) I do LOVE when friends do that :)
    love ya big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it is entirely possible that both came to you from a tornado or something.
    We read about babies found in trees and such, alive and well.
    The tornado that hit near us completely destroyed a house, yet didn't touch a trailer right next door.
    But you have a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Jojo. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. loved the post, cute little nest, and egg. it is a wonder how that little egg did not break!

    thanks for the comment, they all mean so much.

    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Imagine the possibilities if we all got this message and practiced it.
    Thanks for this Jojo.Simply beautiful and simply said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the birds nest you brought in. I have one on the front porch light top with 2 (possibly 3) baby robins in them. They are so sweet and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beauty. Such a moment in time. Aren't we all?

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's something about that lovely blue egg lying in that earthy nest...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO beautiful to come here and see reverence for life's frailty/fragility in the midst of a whirling world that often causes us to forget the truth of life -- that it matters in all forms.

    I love the blue in the whispy gray nest. Pure poetry!

    Real SANITY abounds here -- and I love coming by for a visit.

    XO ~~ Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh so true about life being so fragile.Working with hospice patients is a constant reminder!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I second your emotions... completely! You had me at HELLO... at the bird nest photo anyway! I too am fond of birds (animals in general)... you've probably seen all of my posts Jojo.

    Then your sentiments as a whole about our world and fragility really got me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Now that is quite a defining moment. A real tap on the shoulder telling us what we already should know. So fragile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. While I haven't commented lately, I do read each and every post you make! This post was beautiful and Life IS Fragile! We must make the best of each moment! Keep writing...you INSPIRE me!

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...