"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Friday, April 1, 2011

Picnic...

...have you ever watched that movie?  It's from the 50's and stars William Holden and Kim Novak and, is quite sultry.  Quite.  


from the cover;
Emotions are ignited amongst the complacent townsfolk when a handsome drifter arrives in a small Kansas community on the morning of the Labour Day picnic.


When I was at the thrift store recently I spotted this picnic basket.  I don't normally head over to the basket section as I have too many and most of them are not being put to good use...a.k.a. junk holders.  This one was on the end cap of the dishes isle and as I walked past it for the third, fourth time I decided to look at it.  Unlike most thrift store baskets this one was 'clean, and bright and shiny.'   A must...



nice little latch.  (working)

 nice sturdy adjustable strap.
a couple of handy-dandy drink carriers.  And inside...



utensils, including a bottle/wine opener, several plates, and two wine glasses, or water or whatever your beverage of choice is.   The lining is clean and the utensils packed as if they were never used, not that I won't be washing them thoroughly!

 not a bad little picnic basket but then there is the price.  My thrift store seems to know when they have something useful on their hands and they mark things up...way up.  I assumed that this would be way out of my thrifty price range...lo and behold!
I looked at that tag several times convinced that there must be a '1' in front of the '2'.  I looked around and quickly put it in my cart and headed to the front check-out, as if I was stealing.  The cashier noticing the price grabbed her price book and nodded a few times, then called over the supervisor.  I was getting ready for a 'fight.'  Then both women agree that it was mis-marked and should have been priced much higher but that it was now mine...lucky me, their mistake they said.

I think I'll pack a picnic lunch and surprise my hubs this weekend.  Found any nice surprises lately?

11 comments:

  1. $2.99! What a deal. You'll really enjoy that basket this summer. I'm on 'probation' from thrifting...I've got a room full of things I've collected for my Etsy shop. But I know how you felt about your basket find. Once I found a battered box full of Blue Willow dishes marked $2.00. It was full of cobwebs and dead spiders. I snatched that baby up as fast as I could, threw 2 bucks on the counter and ran down the street to my car. I was afraid they'd figure out their pricing mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me?? $2.99? What a pricing mistake this was. WOW!
    You got the deal of the decade with this one. Congratulations, oh worthy baroness of bargains.
    YOU DONE GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOWWWWWWWWWWWWW CUTEEEEEEEEEE What a deal!!!!!! Glad you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jojo that was quiet a find! Enjoy your picnic!
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. A steal for sure, Jojo! Enjoy and have a blessed weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a deal! I love it when I find such deals, I always feel so noble!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice surprise!!!!!! Love the basket!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Jojo - what a treasure!! You were lucky that day! It's a beautiful picnic basket and you will get lots of use from it.

    Strange how things draw you in thrift stores (or anywhere else). I spotted a big green bowl with a swirling pattern and 2 very discrete fishes engraved somewhere towards the center of the bowl. Do I need another serving/ornamental middle-of-the-table or centerpiece bowl? Of course not. I walked away. Came back. Walked away. Back again. Finally, my friend said to me "why don't you buy it, it's calling to you?"
    "But I don't need it," I assured her.
    "So?" was her reply.
    I bought it. And it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice one! You will have a little chuckle every tie you go on a picnic. Got to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy smoke! What a deal. I have to go to your thrift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OHMYGOSH! I love that you found that picnic basket and I would def take it as a sign that sunny dry weather is heading your way. We're still recovering from colds since we've gotten back from our visit with the kids, a picnic sounds fantastic. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...