"the nicest and the sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple pleasure, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
Lucy Maud Montgomery

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Cherry Blossoms...


...today, as I was cutting Cherry blossoms from our flowering tree, I couldn't help but think of the peoples of Japan.  The victims, survivors and rescuers for who no words in Japanese or English can describe their plight right now...those images that keep flooding my brain, that keep me awake at night with dreams of their suffering, that make me feel so utterly helpless.

It is Cherry Blossom time in Japan right now.  It started in January and continues until the end of March.  In past years many celebrations have been made under the cherry blossom trees and they hold much tradition.

In Japan, the cherry blossom symbolizes clouds due do their nature of blooming and the ephemeral nature of life.  The transience of the blossoms along with their extreme beauty and quick death is often associated with mortality.


They are also an omen of good fortune and an emblem of love and affection.  They are an enduring metaphor for the fleeting nature of life...the fleeting nature of life which is all too real and present at this time.  Sending prayers for all of her people.




* because the time just doesn't feel right I will be postponing my dining room post until Monday.  Remember, tomorrow is the last day to enter my Spring-fling here.  Also, winners will be announced on Monday as I take tomorrow as a day of reflection.   Please remember to visit Lea and thank her for her generosity in this give-away.  Blessings to you all...*

13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Jojo! Photos and words, all perfect- thank you for my bedtime thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photo's are so lovely and so appropriate. I'll never think of cherry blossoms the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As all the pear trees here lose their flowers, the cherry trees have come into full bloom, too.
    The circle of life.

    *hugs* ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect and beautiful post sweet Jojo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this lovely post, it is so hard to comprehend so much heartache. I pray that today God would touch many in Japan and meet their needs.
    Blessings
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never look at another cherry blossom and not think of your post. I once attended a wedding in DC just after the height of the cherry blossoms full bloom. It was beautiful as there were still many still showing. What a delicate flower! My heart aches for those in Japan. I have several friends who are there now. I did find out that they are in southern Japan and are safe. We once at a 4-H foreign exchange with Japan and hosted the adult sponsor at our ranch for several weeks. I kave had Kioko on my mind this last week, and wonder if she is still alive. That was 35 years ago. What a beautiful woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh JoJo Sweetie...
    What a beautiful share this fine morning. I love the cherry blossoms. They are absolutely gorgeous. I have always wanted to see a real one in bloom and you just shared my wish for me. Thank you sweet friend. They are both dainty and elegant. I bet they smell wonderful as well.

    Hope you are well sweet one. You remain in my prayers. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post Jojo. Your cherry blossom images are so gorgeous. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post. I hope lots of people see it and read it. Those cherry blossoms are gorgeous. Hugs sweet JoJo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes...so lovely. And God bless the Japanese right now. Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like Debora mentioned in her comment I will not ever look at a cherry blossom without thinking of you,this post and Japan.
    It is so peaceful here today out on the ole forty yet I did not get out and enjoy it and only have myself to blame for that but now after reading your post I wish I would of spent more of my day out doors giving thanks for what I have here and now.
    Your a sweetheart and I think of you often.
    Also honey I wanted to thank you for your very generous comment about my chapter that I hesitated to put out to my friends to see. You always say the kindest things to me.
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jojo, this post is why I joined your blog in the first place. There is a calmness about what you say and how you say it. Thanks. Calm is certainly needed nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully written. Beautiful photos and I wish I had another word but that is all that comes to me---just BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete

comments, comments, comments! If you've got 'em share 'em. If you are a no comment blogger I will try to answer back on this post. If you are...expect a personal reply from me! Cheers, and please mind those manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...